Most extreme clowns I've seen

dawgface

Market
Reaction score
Took delivery of these two gems this morning via Fedex. I'm still stunned by their crazy markings!

Anyone have any really unique clowns to show off?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

The names are getting so long and interchanged now days that I've become confused on what is what.

But the given name from Sustainable Aquatics was Frostbite Subzero. Would love to know myself what specific breeding took place for these.

They were super cheap as well.... atleast to what I expected to pay as well as what I recall from a few years ago. Obviously the market has been adjusted from all the home breeders.

So the hobbyist finally benifits!!!

$200 plus a free small skunk cleaner shrimp. Feels like I stole them.

Found a little write up regarding the fish. I'll never remember this so might as well have it handy it case I ever need quick reference.

Sustainable Aquatics arguably revolutionized the designer clownfish breeding world in 2013 with the announcement of the Frostbite Ocellaris Clownfish, as I first discussed on Reef Builders. This fish represents the first multi-gene, pure species designer clownfish created, combining the Snowflake gene and the Davinci gene in a single fish to create the new Frostbite phenotype.

Since that introduction, Sustainable Aquatics started with two separate grades, which have now grown to four unique grades of this genotype. &#8220;Flurry&#8221; Frostbite Ocellaris Clowns are mostly white, &#8220;Chilled&#8221; Frostbites may show a spot or two on the flanks, &#8220;Frozen&#8221; Frostbite Clownfish carry a fair amount of black spots on white flanks, while the Sub-Zero or Subzero Frostbite Ocellaris Clownfish is heavily spotted. From where I sit, it appears that for a Frostbite to be considered a &#8220;Sub Zero&#8221;, it should have holes / spots above the lateral line as well as below, and likely has more than 10 spots per flank. The size and distribution of those spots can vary dramatically.

There is still quite a bit of variation in the grading of these clownfish, and the dividing line is rather subjective, some people&#8217;s &#8220;Sub Zero&#8221; might be other poeple&#8217;s &#8220;Frozen&#8221;."

Cool looking fish. I tend towards wild types personally. I tend to like to keep fish that could conceivably survive in their native environment although I can appreciate the results of selective breeding too. It takes a lot of work to create a new color morph.

There is no reason those fish would not survive a native environment.

Spots or no spots, there are millions of different fish surviving in the world's reefs as we speak.

I can create that pattern on any piece of meat. My big green egg does great char marks. :firedevil:

Man that is a heck of a deal, those have a pretty sweet pattern. I've had nothing like that come out of my batches.

I was planning on hitting the fish store Saturday to look for a new clown pair but after seeing yours I bought some from them online. I usually don't like buying fish online, but I figure since they are in TN it wont be too rough of a trip.

2775.jpg
alt="" />

Personally I think designer clowns look diseased and malformed.

But those....those look amazing!

voodoojar;1100945 wrote: I was planning on hitting the fish store Saturday to look for a new clown pair but after seeing yours I bought some from them online. I usually don't like buying fish online, but I figure since they are in TN it wont be too rough of a trip.

2775.jpg
alt="" />

Awesome, glad I could help! I've ordered a couole times from them and they've always packaged everything great and never had a problem.

Back