Mounting frag plugs to rockwork?

cr500_af

Market
Reaction score
A few of my frags have grown enough to move onto the rock.
How do you remove the peg on the bottom of the plug, and what particular epoxy is reef safe? I presume it's best to use the type that is like a stick that you break off and "knead" together?

I use either bone cutters or a dremel to remove the bottom of the plug. Yes, the epoxy sticks are what you want to use. Also, I use superglue gel to hold it until the epoxy sets.

We use http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3961">this stuff</a>. Most of our sponsors carry it.

Also, sometimes you don't need to cut off the *stem* of the plug if you have a comparable size hole in your liverock (or can drill a hole or widen an existing one); just insert the plug into the hole and work a bit of the epoxy around the base of the coral, overlapping onto the liverock - voila!

Bone cutters, wire cutters here too. Marginal success with Epoxy, but super glue gel seems to work every time.

Ares, nice concept. Glue in place once they seem happy or just leave them plugged in? I have trouble with my snails (turbos) knocking things over if not STUCK in place.

Back