Mounting Vortech Controller?

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good, clean looking way to mount the Vortech controllers? I've used velcro, but if you put on enough so it doesn't fall then it is hard to remove without pulling off the velcro.

I also use velcro but I have found that some brands or types have better adhesive than others so that the two halves stay put when you seperate them. I'm using one that is labeled "industrial strength". I got it either from Lowes or HD, comes in a blue and silver box.

I use velcro two strips one on top the width of the controller and the bottom the same way. A guy taught me a long time ago with velcro to heat the adhesive with a lighter before sticking it to whatever. It really works.

Edit: I even use velcro to mount the powersupply as well on the back of my stand. I get them off the floor in case of a flood. They hang fine

mysterybox;691857 wrote: industrial strength velcro

I use industrial strength velcro for everything around my tank. Great stuff. There is a company that makes an acrylic holder for Vortechs now. They look very nice but I would save the money and buy some good velcro.

Thanks, guys! Looks like I'll try velcro again. The biggest problem I have is where it is mounted to the wood, that's where it usually comes loose. When I try again, I'll add a couple of nails or screws to that piece to keep it in place.

try the lighter trick it really works bud, its for exactly the problem you are having.

Smallblock;692414 wrote: try the lighter trick it really works bud, its for exactly the problem you are having.

I do the same.... I use a hair dryer though to avoid damaging it. Any little bit of heat **REALLY** brings out the adhesive.

To get it off, once you rip off the velcro, use WD-40 to get the remaining adhesive off. =)

Biggest problem I've had is the heat from the powersupplies melting/loosening the adhesive. You hear a thud and then look and see that one of the PSs has fallen down.

Bud - get the apex module and control them all without having to touch the controllers. All mine are tucked away. A little more expensive than Velcro though!

JJ Ocean;692456 wrote: Bud - get the apex module and control them all without having to touch the controllers. All mine are tucked away. A little more expensive than Velcro though!

But WORTH EVERY PENNY

JeF4y;692432 wrote: I do the same.... I use a hair dryer though to avoid damaging it. Any little bit of heat **REALLY** brings out the adhesive.

To get it off, once you rip off the velcro, use WD-40 to get the remaining adhesive off. =)

Good I'll try the heat gun so I don't start a fire. My wife is into crafts and has a product called "Undo" which will loosen and remove just about any glue.

JJ Ocean;692456 wrote: Bud - get the apex module and control them all without having to touch the controllers. All mine are tucked away. A little more expensive than Velcro though!

Ha, I have an Apex but still control the Vortechs and the AI Sol Blues with their own controllers.

Crewdawg1981;692457 wrote: But WORTH EVERY PENNY

Hmmm.... I heard that somewhere! :D

Crewdawg1981;692463 wrote: Must've been a wise individual :thumbs:

But honestly... ya got the Apex, why not?

I don't like having single points of failure in my system. If the Apex goes out, I can still control my lights and powerheads.

I have mine mounted on the bottom doors so only rarely do i take them off.. Industrial Strength as already mentioned. Makes a nice job.

I mounted them with velcro and tried heating it with a heat gun. That really softened up the glue and hopefully will allow it to stick better. If you try the heat, make sure you only do it to the hook side of the velcro. The first time I tried it with the other side and after I got everything done the velcro wouldn't stick to itself. The heat must have singed/melted some of the hairs making it useless. I redid it and only heated the hook side which seems to be working fine.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Use a staple gun to reinforce the "hook" side of the Velcro to the wood surface, and put the "fuzzy" side of the Velcro on the controller. Worked for me for over 3 years (I sold the system).

Dustin

RedEDGE2k1;694046 wrote: Use a staple gun to reinforce the "hook" side of the Velcro to the wood surface, and put the "fuzzy" side of the Velcro on the controller. Worked for me for over 3 years (I sold the system).

Dustin

Thanks! So far heating up the hook side seems to have made the difference. If I have any trouble I'll go ahead and staple it.

Back