• It's 2021 get some commie lights

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stay old school, they work

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

90gDreams

Supporting
Reaction score
So current lighting setup is 250w Phoenix DE Halides in a cheap pendant. One of the ballasts is no longer functioning. The bulbs were probably over a year old before being boxed up for 9 years. Costs to get a new pair of ballasts, I'm concerned about one firing different than the other, and 2 new bulbs puts me at around $420.

A pair of 165w Viparspectra with timers is about $280. I always like my halides and but I've wanted dawn dusk aticnic times as well. Was kicking around t5 retro fit but again more $$.

SPS plans are right now limited to pocillopora, pink birdsnest, green slimer, and a few Monti plates.

Tank is planned to be heavy on candy canes, frogspawn, hammers, and trachy or six.

So I thinks that's enough info to set up the question, what are the thoughts on it?

“Cheap” led works mostly the same as any led. Biggest difference is spectrum, controllability, and quality control. You should switch imo. Try the cheap ones and move up if you like the look. Would not dump money to expensive fixtures if you’re on the fence between types of lighting

I think I have some ballasts at work, I can check later today. They were 250w hqi ballasts if they are still mounted in my stand. I'll make you a deal on them if they are available.

Stick with the halides. LED’s are trying to mimic the success of MH and T5 which is why we just switched to T5’s. If I had the extra money I’d be getting those MH lights from the thread Bobby posted.

I have 4 T5’s, 2 coral plus, 1 blue plus, 1 true actinic and an LED strip moonlight. Just switched over to this so livestock is still acclimating but so far so good

I have to say, if you are not trying to grow difficult sps, LED is just fine. Pocillopora will grow everywhere, even if you design your tank to kill it! I've heard it called the "aiptasia of sps"...

My birds nests and montis and basic acros love my AI LED lighting.

I've heard the same about Pocillopora but I've got an odd sentimental thing attached to. My dad brought home some big coral skeletons when I was young and they appear to be Pocillopora so I'll be tossing them in.

I've tried over the years: T5, MH, MH/T5 combo, DIY LED, customized black box LED, stock black box, "better" eBay LEDs, LED/T5 combo, and most recently Noopsyches. They all grew corals just fine with the right PAR and placement. I don't think changing from T5 or MH or LED to a different tech is an "upgrade", just "different", with different pluses and minuses. An "upgrade" to T5 or MH would be adding some LEDs for moonlights or dusk/dawn. An "upgrade" for LED might be adding T5 to fill in some shadowing. I've always had plenty of issues that have limited my success, but lighting hasn't been one.

Back