Moving a reefer 525 from Lawrenceville to Jefferson

erics3000

Reaction score
I bought a house and am looking for some help to move the tank. Anyone got any ideas? I was thinking about maybe some movers to assist.

Any way you can either move the whole setup first or at the very end? Trying to set up a tank mid-move is always an issue. I know sometimes people close on both at the same time and the window is pretty short. If there's any way you can dedicate a single day to the actual tank move, that's the way to go. I've got a truck and would be happy to help if needed. ****Will work for frags****

Af first I saw 525 and thought OMG. Then I saw a Reefer 525 is only 108 gallons. I've moved a 120 three times and two guys can do it without much problem as long as there aren't many stairs involved. It sounds daunting but if you're intimately familiar with your setup it's more manageable than you first think.

Here is some advice in case you haven't done it before.

Suction cups make the move much easier, PM me if you want to borrow mine. I have 4 and have used them to move a 120 several times and a 220 without any issues.

A furniture dolly is good to have also. That way you can roll it where you can instead of carrying it the entire way.

Figure out what you're going to do for water. You can siphon off the majority of your old water, or take the opportunity for a 100% water change but you'll have to make the water ahead of time. LFS's will rent/loan you 5g containers for the move if you need. You could also buy water from them if you like.

I would not recommend re-using sand. If you have sand I'd suggest getting new for the move, especially if you have a deep sand bed.

Prepare a number of different containers ( rubber maid, etc. ) for the live stock to ensure things aren't sloshing into each other during the move.

It sounds like a relatively short move but you will want to think about having a few spare heaters and air bubblers on hand for your livestock. From start of tear down to adding live stock to the new setup it will be a number of hours at best.

If you're making new water be sure to have it heated and ready to go before you even start the tear down. Another time a few extra heaters would be handy to have around.

Paying in frags is a cheaper option but i manage a shop that maintains and moves tanks regularly if you decide you are interested feel free to pm me or if you have questions about doing it your self feel free to pn me

Hey how’s it going I own my own moving company and I move fishtanks all the time do you need any help just give me a call 678-559-9345 my name is Matthew

Hey how’s it going I own my own moving company and I move fishtanks all the time do you need any help just give me a call 678-559-9345 my name is Matthew
I might just give you a call soon just bought a new 170g tank and will need help moving it from the garage to the living room.

Back