Moving a Reefer 750 XXL

tangueray

Reaction score
I recently moved to the Duluth area.  I need help moving this nearly 400 pound tank from my garage into the house.  Does anyone know of a moving company or LFS with experience moving large aquariums?

You're not comfortable doing it yourself with some friends/members?

Man, I don't know.  I think it's right at my limit.  It's a two man job, and I think most non aqua heads underestimate how heavy aquariums really are.  My understanding is that the Reefers are heavier than comparable rimmed aquariums right?

Where in Duluth are you at? I'm right at PIB & Sugarloaf. I can handle one end by myself. A 3rd person would be good for doorways if its tight.

Anit, thanks for the offer!  I live at Cardinal Lake.  It's not too far from where you are.  I have those straps that you put on your arms to move refrigerators and a dolly, so the hardest part would be the doorway for sure.  I've got one other guy that can help on Memorial weekend if you are free.

I can probably handle a small corner. I have a few bulging disks so I cant lift much.   But, Im willing to lend a hand.

Thanks to everyone for offering help!  I am shooting for a Memorial weekend move.  Looking forward to meeting you guys.

I honestly don't know what the plans are for Memorial Day weekend are yet. If weather permits I know there'll be a lot of lake time and bbqing incolved. I'm free this weekend for sure.

Once I have a tank in the air I don't like setting it down till it's on the stand. It's much easier on the back than picking it up twice. If it's on the ground now I'll need help getting into a standing position. From there I'm good till it's on the stand if it's not a huge distance away. The main thing is how tight the doorways are. It is 3/4" glass so I know its heavy, if you have good straps that go over the shoulders to the wrists that will help a lot with grip. I've moved several standard 220's and 180's. So of it's not much heavier than a 220 I'll be ok on one end.

I’ll be available to help after Memorial Day weekend anytime from Wednesday on.

let me know

Again, thanks to everyone offering a hand!  I am going to assemble the stand sometime next week, and maybe even start a build thread.

Well, we got the tank moved yesterday, just Lan and I... that is one heavy hunk o glass! I can't believe my back doesn't hurt today. And I'm still not sure how we got it done, mind over matter or sheer will.

I was nice to meet you Lan and I'm sure we'll be seeing more of one another. Best of luck with the house and I'll be giving my contractor your info.

Hey Adam, thanks for all the help man.  I still can't believe you were insane enough to lift that thing with just the two of us.  Proof that it takes two crazy heads to get anything done. Glad to hear that you're not hurting too much.  I could barely hold a can of beer after that, and my body still feels like it's been hit by a truck 2 days later.  Good times...haha

Back