Moving a Tank Stinks

catgirl29

Market
Reaction score
Moved from Grant Park to Marietta on Thursday. Drained most of the water from the JBJ 30, loaded it into the car, must have hit a bump on the way to the new house. Got "home" to find a crack and water slowly leaking. Ran to Aquarium shop and buy 29 gallon (felt I had to since all of my livestock was in buckets at this point).

Anyhow, I used as much tank water, filter media and sand from the old tank as I could. It's been three days and of course, I've lost all but two clowns, which I put in another teeny (pico) tank that I didn't even drain to move.

In the new tank, holy hell - bristle worms that I didn't even know I had coming out of the rock work. I've got a lot of flow going, temp is at 80. If I lose everything, I'm resigned to that. Do I just wait it out and do frequent water changes? Any advice is appreciated. Of course, all this had to happen during a move and the holidays.

Shout out to Premier and my ARC discount.

I feel your pain.Just had a big move with 120. I'm still dealing with it . Would do testing on No3 and Po4. And frequent WC.

I moved a 220 in july. It's a hassle, but you got to give up the sand. Nothing but trouble. My rock went into dark wet bin storage for 60 days and turned out OK. Best thing to do is to give up all but the fish/coral and start over.

I'm moving this weekend and have been stressing for weeks now. Moving entire house and that includes 150, 50, 30frag, 32bio and a 16 gallon. I have even woken up in a cold sweat from nightmares about what could go wrong 😣. I've tried to prepare as much as possible, fingers crossed!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Bobby, I hope all gose well. I'm not going to tell you its going to be easy.But it can be done.Yes , its going to be stressful. Just keep in mind, and keep saying, "Man I Love This Hobby"

Sounds like there was an ammonia spike during the move. Have you tested the water?

People used to wonder why we charged an arm and a leg to move a tank. Because it sucks, that's why :)

Jenn

And personally, I say everyone should use Stabile, prime, and others for any move!! Ammonia is the #1 killer during a move, in my opinion!!

Sorry - just saw this. Actually, ammonia was fine. It still is fine. Doing twice weekly water changes and testing like crazy.

I think what happened was that I had a sea cucumber that was damaged in a bucket or in my hurry to get water and rock into the new tank (after more time in buckets than intended). After I realized it, I found him, removed him (then dead) and did a 50% water change. I removed the two clowns that were struggling and put them in a pico that moved with water in it. I did 25% changes every other day for a week. The first day of what I think was "the poisoning" I lost a scooter blenny, royal gramma, pistol shrimp, cleaner shrimp and a very cool little anemone. Most snails are gone although I have a few. Two hermits made it and tankloads of bristle worms that are apparently working to clean everything up. So gross but good, I guess. The clowns have made it and look healthy.

I hope I never have to move a tank again - and if the do, Jenn, I may just pay someone. Sigh...

JennM;1104580 wrote: Sounds like there was an ammonia spike during the move. Have you tested the water?

People used to wonder why we charged an arm and a leg to move a tank. Because it sucks, that's why :)

Jenn

Back