Moving a tank?

reeferjw

Market
Reaction score
Anyone have some useful do's and don'ts for moving a tank?

It is fully cycled, but no livestock in it. I will be picking up the tank, stand, canopy, lights, sand and some live rock. Am I correct in assuming that it is going to go through another cycle since it will get jumbled around in the transport? I was thinking I would bring a few buckets to contain some of the water and live rock, leaving the sand and maybe and inch of water in the tank.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I recently moved to my new house and moving my 3 gal pico reef was not very successful, so I want to make sure I do this right.

Thanks,
Joe

If I was you, I would try to save at least 50% of the water so you wont' have to start over. I moved a 120 gallon tank and didnt' even have one died off (lucky I guess). Then you can do a 10-15% water change like week later..

Like you just said, keep the sand in some water, keep the rocks wet and in shallow water. At the location you're moving to, make sure you have all enough water made to fill the tank to the point where at least the rocks will be submerged. Then work your way to setup the equiptment. Since you have no life stock, keep the ac in the house on until everything is RTG

PM me for more info cause I've done this a few times already.

I'm not sure I agree with purple there about the water. Since you tank is already cycled, your rocks and sand is alread cultured, 100% water change will do no harm IMO.

Agreed. If everything is cured you will be fine just keep it wet. The last tank I set up never really 'cycled' because I used cured rock and sand. Had coral in it the next day and fish the day after. Haven't lost a thing and that was over 2 mos ago.

Received good responses when I posted asking for tips, do's and don'ts. You can check
showthread.php

Thanks everyone. Good stuff. I will put it to use when I pick up the new tank.

Joe

Back