Moving Clams from sandbed - advice?

jcusmarine

Supporting
Reaction score
Searched and saw a couple of threads on removing Clams from LR with a razor blade....

Wanted to ask if there is any difference in moving them from the sandbed? I tested out one of my Clams the other day and gave a gentle tug up and it was firmly in the sandbed....do they attach all the way down to the tank glass or should I just go ahead and carefully pull them out?

Anyone have some guidance. I love my Clams and do not want to risk anything.

Thanks in advance!

What type of clam?!? Some burry down in the sand and do attach to the glass. If he will not pull up, unless you have a piece of rock under your sand, I would say he is attached to the glass! You can dig around them and use a razor to remove him. My questions is why? If he is happy where he is at, most of the time they should stay.

Thanks.

I am moving a Gold Teardrop Maxima and a couple of Crocea's....

As to why, I am changing my main display to LPS/Softy with just a couple of SPS up top....and moving everything else, including the Clams under the HQI lighting in my Nano....I keep having a problem with Xenia and Kenya tree fragging itself and then attaching to my Clams - the frags then grow and cover the mantle, blocking light. I really like all the movement in my display and do not want to get rid of the softies, so I thought it best to protect my Clams and move them to the HQI Nano with no softies to compete with.....

Also, I am running PC lighting on the display and although I have a ton of light, I think it wise to give the Clams the best light possible...I have seen no problems in over a year of keeping the Clams with good growth, but I feel that the HQI lighting would be more suited to their requirements.

Back