moving rock around

ckwatson

Market
Reaction score
I was thinking of changing my rock around some tonight. But last time I moved stuff around and added a large peace of base rock I got an ammonia spike. It was a very small some but I have more live stock and coral in now and dont want anything to happen. Should moving rock around cause a spike or was it adding the base rock. The first time I did stir up the sand some which should not happen this time, could that have caused the spike?

to be on the safe side i would have soe water ready and do a water change i have never had a problem but better safe then sorry

Ok I do have some water to do a change, would adding some prime be good or is there a problem with using prime with out really needing it?

if you added rock that was not fully cured this would cause a spike

**i think** that the white base rock will tend to give you more of a ph spike/drop

anytime i add rock i always put it in a bucket with some of my water i took out of my tank with the water change for a few weeks.

Ok well I will give it a try and see what happens I will do a water change when I get done and hope every thing works out. The first time I moved stuff around the tank was pretty new the first time hopefully things have settled down now and nothing will happen

You could have stirred up some crap that was in the rocks when moving them... IMHO this is most likely what caused a spike.

Xyzpdq0121;140564 wrote: You could have stirred up some crap that was in the rocks when moving them... IMHO this is most likely what caused a spike.

is that something that would only happen when the tank was new or is that still a possibility? The tank was been set up for a little over 4 months

Back