Moving sat

blind1993

Market
Reaction score
my dad told me to get the aquarium ready to move on saturday and sunday. well i have a few questions.
1)i am buying new sand, would that cause a cycle? if so, does anyone have a frag tank i could store a yellow tang and sixline wrasse in? ill give you mysis and all.
2)i am going to be cleaning the rocks of all hair alage(alot) cycle? or no?
3)would it be better if i just recycled the tank and had someone store the fish till it was done cycling?

55g with sump, lr, stand, canopy, and all.

thanks in advance, btw im going to sand from crushed coral

so should i get live sand or dead?
im cleaning the rocks because it has wayyyy too much hair algae.

Look at that thread about "Algefix Marine". It linked to another forum with lots of members with good results in tanks with inverts and is supposedly *reef safe*. Have you located the source of the algae? Are you running some phosphate remover? I'd be hesitant to do anything that COULD cause a tank cycle.

Well I've been lazy and I don't have hair algae... It's something in your water... maybe too much sunlight? That's what caused it for me.

the tank is right next to 3 large windows and there is a small amount of phosphates(very acceptable but i dont remember the number)

blind1993;328026 wrote:
2)i am going to be cleaning the rocks of all hair alage(alot) cycle? or no?

I had hair algae (it was bad). When doing a water change I took the rocks out kept them submerged in the bucket and gave them a good scrub with a tooth brush. Put them back in the tank....water params were normal. No spike.

blind1993;328687 wrote: the tank is right next to 3 large windows and there is a small amount of phosphates(very acceptable but i dont remember the number)

Which begs the question, what is considered acceptable on phospates?
I've never seen this addressed before.

cr500_af;328704 wrote: Which begs the question, what is considered acceptable on phospates?
I've never seen this addressed before.

Can't remember the exact number, but you're using an RO/DI for your tap water, right? If you have a low TDS reading after running the water through your unit, phosphates won't be an issue.

Linda, I actually am installing my RO tonight. I did test my phospates with an API test kit on my well water, and the reading was in between zero and .25ppm. I do have a "conventional" whole house filter.

im using tap water, been tested and the phospates were acceptable according to the chart. tds is 25 in my water.

Back