Moving water around

fishtank

Market
Reaction score
Hello!

Presently I do water changes on my 125g by cleaning sand etc and taking out around 4 x 5 gallon buckets almost full (approx. 20g) every one to two weeks depending on my schedule. I then have a pvc hook that I hang on the tank and pump the new water back in. My pump is a little under rated for moving the water that far and up about 6 to 7' of head so firstly I was thinking of a bigger pump.

Secondly,
I have two RO/DI reservoirs in the house, a 12 gallon for my 125 and a 7 gallon for my 20g, Today I replenish these by 5g bucket and syphon etc etc.

My question is can I use the same 75' marine RV hose (all brass removed) and pump for both saltwater refills and RO/DI top ups?

Thoughts? Or if this doesn't sound good how about different hoses but same pump?

Thanks for the help!

Garden hose or RV hose with the ends cut off is fine. Any pump will work but the bigger it is the faster it goes which I like a lot.

My one recommendation is if you are cleaning sand, glue some egg crate over the hose inlet. It will allow most big stuff through but not anything large enough to get stuck in the hose which is a real PINA.

I use the same hose connected to a pump for both saltwater refills and RO/DI top off, and it seems fine to me. I keep the pump plugged into a remote controlled outlet thing, so I have a handy little remote to turn the pump on and off while I'm holding the other end of the hose at the tank. For draining the tank, I have a Python hose connected to a sink. I'm pretty happy with the system, not having to carry around any buckets :)

Another way to help with pressure it to get the water as high as you can reasonably store it. Gravity will help counter the head pressure from the pump output.

Thanks for the tips! I was mainly interested to see if it was deemed ok to use the same line for salt and ro/di water top ups

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back