moving ??

Reefplumber13

Market
Reaction score
ok so i might be moving in a few weeks how will i go about not killing my tank? and by that i mean what can i do so i dont have to cycle again? and my tank is a 45

lower the water as low as you can, have some people lift it into a level secure surface. Transport, refill with same water or pre-prepared salt water. battery powered airstone maybe? If its only a 30-45 min ordeal, I cannot imagine it would be any worse than the plastic bag they have all been in at some point in their lives.

just as an aside, I did it that way with 2 FW tanks w/o issue, but with corals and O2 exchange...SW could be a different story, so...yea, anyone else have ideas for him?

I moved my 120 twice in 2007. One lost 1 fish because he was hiding out in a piece of LR. You need a couple coolers, pump, tubing, garbage can, and plenty of towels.

1. Remove coral and put 1 per baggie (ask any LFS for free) into a cooler.
2. Remove all LR and put into a cooler.
3. Put empty garbage can on truck
4. Siphon water with pump and 50' tubing (Lowe's) or whatever length you need to get from tank to truck. Or you can manually haul 5 gal buckets since your tank is smaller. Keep as much water as possible. Keep about 4" of water in tank so that you can easily remove the fish.
5. Catch fish and put 1 per baggie and into cooler.
6. Siphon the rest of the water out in the sink-it's usually the poop filled water anyway. There should be no water left.
7. Scoop all of your sand into a bucket. A plastic hand broom pan works wonders.
8. Move empty tank.
9. Set up tank in place
10. Put sand back in
11. Put water back in
12. Put equipment back in
13. Put LR back in
14. Float fish bags and coral for 30 minutes
15. All fish and coral back in tank.

Voila! If you don't have enough water to run the overflows, just make sure your powerheads are at least on. I did that for 2 days until I had made enough water with my RODI unit to fill the rest of the tank. If you can have water on hand, that would be better.

I moved a 55 gal in 2005 and no losses too. That only took 5 hours. My 120 took over 11 hours to move! Whew!

would stirring up the sand cause a cycle or spike? not trying to cause trouble, jut curious because I will more than likely moving in or around Feb so I am taking notes :)

nova65chic;190866 wrote: would stirring up the sand cause a cycle or spike? not trying to cause trouble, jut curious because I will more than likely moving in or around Feb so I am taking notes :)
i was about to ask the same thing

Back