Mp40 issues

Jeremey’s reef

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a MP40 but sadly it does not want to hold against my aquarium’s glass which is 1/2” thick but the spacers provided with the unit suggest that it should work for the thickness I have. The spacers provided are for 1/4, 1/2 and one that suggest usage for thickness above 1/2” so why can’t I get it to stay put? Has anyone ever had this issue? Is there a way to resolve it or should I go for the MP60? Tank size is 120g FT which is 55” across

55” across , I think mp60 would be good a addition to your reef

im a big fan of more flow rather than too little.

MP40 should work. Is it not holding when turned on or does it not hold at all on or off?

Need a pic of the dry side and the spacer. Is it the older pin spacer, or the MP40QD style rubber disc spacer?

It is the quiet drive version, I found that it holds if I off set the wet and dry side but not if I try to align them perfectly or turn the intensity up to a certain level

Something’s not right. I’ve got 2 MP40’s on my 180 and it’s 1/2” glass. Post a pic of what you’re dealing with including the spacer. Have you tried it without the spacer? Did you buy it new or used?

It sounds like your wet side is messed up or less likely your dry side has an issue. Was this used? If the propeller of the wet side is off kilter or anything is bent or if it has been dropped then it might be broken or off balance- and it wont work. Open up and look at inside of wet side like you are cleaning and see what if anything is messed up if you bought used, if new call Ecotech and have them replace. Try switching the wet side and see if it works. It should work fine with your system if the units are functional and in sound shape.

I actually had the same thing happen. Make SURE you affix the dry side cord to something so that when it falls off it doesn't hit the floor. eventually it WILL break and then you'll be buying a new dry side like I just did. If this continue to happen contact the company ... they have some really good CS.

<----IF it comes down to it I saw a member post an MP40 for sell recently.

Hello everyone so I Purchased this new from Premier Aquatics and I can’t turn the intensity past the half way point or it comes off the glass

today it only wants to hold when the driver isn’t running I am extremely upset to say the least Premier has offered to show me how to install or jump through hoops before a refund becomes a option

Yeah, I’d definitely take it back to Premiere and have them take a look at it. Sounds almost like one of the magnets is installed backwards, not sure if that’s possible though.

It’s been a little while since I took mine apart, I wonder if the wet side magnet could be flipped and put back in. I think it has a countersink on one side for the impeller screw though, can’t remember.

The fact that it was somewhat holding when the wet side was off center makes me think one of them is backwards... I could be wrong though. Might be worth a try to see if you can flip the wet side one before going through the hassle of taking it back.

If new Premier could look at and see if defect and help initiate return replacement etc. Both Premier and manufacturer have great support- so sure they could rectify situation.

Back