MP60 Power Supply Replacement 2 vs 3 prong plug: OE vs Generic Replacement

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
Guys,
One of my MP60 power supplies died last night. I had a spare, so I am good, but I had a question regarding a replacement.

A replacement from Eco Tech costs $150. This is a laptop type power supply. I found a replacement that has the same voltage and amperage output and the same barrel type plug for the Vortech controller that only costs $50.

Here is the difference: the EcoTech power supply uses a 3 prong plug for the wall to the adapter, whereas the replacement unit uses a 2 prong plug from the wall to the adapter. I know the 3rd prong is ground, but I don't know if there is a significant difference in our application?

Meaning, does the 3 prong in the EcoTech power supply protect the Vortech controller from surges? Both are supposed to be kept dry, of course.

Here is the info from the EcoTech adapter:

AC Adapter
Model no. WT3203000-PFC
input: 100-240V - 50/60Hz2.0A
output: 32V--3.0 A

The non EcoTech adapter has the same output Voltage and amperage and is 1/3 the cost of the replacement from EcoTech, so I wanted to know if there were any inherent risks is using a 2 prong vs a 3 prong?

I thought maybe the EcoTech 3 prong cord was for the application of the product near an aquarium with the resulting risks of electricity and water.

I found this video to be edutational:

<div class="gc_ifarem_title">Power Outlet: 2 Prong vs. 3 Prong Plugs - YouTube</div>

Really, neither the 2 or 3 prong plugs are designed to protect the equipment from power surges - a power strip or UPS device would do that.

The 3-wire plug is designed so that if there's a short inside the power brick that would cause the outer surface to become electrically Hot, the ground wire instead would divert that current to ground - causing the circuit breaker to trip. The Ground pin is the same as the Neutral line.

The 2-wire plug is the same, but it just has a Hot and a Neutral line.

Is it worth the risk to your safety for a $50 vs $150 power brick?

Perhaps... but then again I bet I can find a suitable power brick that DOES have that 3-pin grounded plug, and not cost $150...

Edit: This one via eBay appears to have a 3-prong power cord for $50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Globe-AC-Adapter-For-Model-No-WT3203000-PFC-Power-Supply-Charger-Mains-PSU-Cord-/141000435166?pt=US_Power_Supplies&hash=item20d447e5de"> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Globe-AC-Adapter-For-Model-No-WT3203000-PFC-Power-Supply-Charger-Mains-PSU-Cord-/141000435166?pt=US_Power_Supplies&hash=item20d447e5de</a>

There, conundrum solved. :)

GiulianoM;890978 wrote: Really, neither the 2 or 3 prong plugs are designed to protect the equipment from power surges - a power strip or UPS device would do that.

The 3-wire plug is designed so that if there's a short inside the power brick that would cause the outer surface to become electrically Hot, the ground wire instead would divert that current to ground - causing the circuit breaker to trip. The Ground pin is the same as the Neutral line.

The 2-wire plug is the same, but it just has a Hot and a Neutral line.

Is it worth the risk to your safety for a $50 vs $150 power brick?

Perhaps... but then again I bet I can find a suitable power brick that DOES have that 3-pin grounded plug, and not cost $150...

Edit: This one via eBay appears to have a 3-prong power cord for $50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Globe-AC-Adapter-For-Model-No-WT3203000-PFC-Power-Supply-Charger-Mains-PSU-Cord-/141000435166?pt=US_Power_Supplies&hash=item20d447e5de"> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Globe-AC-Adapter-For-Model-No-WT3203000-PFC-Power-Supply-Charger-Mains-PSU-Cord-/141000435166?pt=US_Power_Supplies&hash=item20d447e5de</a>

There, conundrum solved. :)[/QUOTE]

The issue with that ebay ad is that you do not get the 3 prong plug as shown. Wrong picture, different adapter. You are shipped a two prong plug adapter, albeit with the proper voltage and amp outut. I bought that exact power supply from that seller and returned it because it only had a two prong wall plug. I had another Power supply bite the dust a couple months ago, but was actually given one by EcoTech as a gift to replace it because I had a new, defective MP60 I had to return to them.

I was hung up on the 3 prong the Ecotech supply has and that it is in use near water, and just don't know if it is a concern or not, hence the post here.

Back