MRC Ocean Force

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Hey gang, I ran up to MRC yesterday and Tim was kind enough to part with a brank spankin' new Ocean Force (OF 100) skimmer! With a 5-1/2"x4-1/2" footprint it's an answer to prayer! I got it up an going last night and the results are astounding. I've never seen so many bubbles! I'll post pics soon once I get them downloaded It's well built, sturdy and most importantly simple. There is a gate valve that controls the water height in the skimmer and right now it's all the way open and foam head is an inch below the top of the cup. In fact when I first fired it up it overflowed into the cup because the gate wasn't all the way open.

Is this due to it being new? It didn't pull much skimmate overnight and the little that it did had a tint to it but was mostly water. Just checking to see if this in normal as I've never had a skimmer that was any good. I can't actually tell where the "water" line is because the tube is nothing but micro bubbles. I have read up on the break in process but couldn't find anything that specifically referenced any overflowing. Once the skimmer breaks in will the level drop so I can control it with the gate valve? Any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance. I'm just getting back into the hobby and this is the biggest/best purchase I've made to date. I didn't want to skimp on the skimmer so MRC was the way to go as far as I'm concerned. The service was outstanding and all of my questions, no matter how "basic", were answered in full and without making me feel like a dumd***.

I think that skimmers do have to be broken in. Does the skimmer have to be used in sump?

Yeah, give it time to break in. Some people spend a month of so tuning it in as it breaks in. It will probably be pulling better skimmate withinn a week or two.. And I do believe it is an in sump only skimmer, due to the design.

It's in sump only from what I can tell. I'm sure someone could come up with some way to plumb it outside the sump but it wouldn't be easy and would require a new motor. As for mine, it sits perfectly in my sump with the intake close to my filter sock so it'll suck up the dirtiest water possible. I can't wait for it to break in and start rocki' and rollin'! Also, even before I put this skimmer in my Nitrates have gone from 80+ down to less than 40! Water changes and maintainence do help! I know they're still high but at least they're going in the right direction, DOWN!

I have the larger Ocean Force. I love it. I empty it about once a week to once every other week and the sides of the cup are covered in baby poo.

Tim and MRC are great.

Did you see the monster bubble plate skimmers they are making?

LorenK;223790 wrote: I have the larger Ocean Force. I love it. I empty it about once a week to once every other week and the sides of the cup are covered in baby poo.

Tim and MRC are great.

Did you see the monster bubble plate skimmers they are making?

Hmm...wonder how you got that one!!!!! Lucky sucker!

flyingarmy;223828 wrote: Hmm...wonder how you got that one!!!!! Lucky sucker!
LOL

On another keep us posted on how it works. I looked at that same skimmer when I was a MACNA and am seriously considering one.

I'll be sure to keep ya'll posted and I have some pics as well. It was too late to post any last night, especially after I did all the required (I'm married) cleanup!

The biggest problem I have with the skimmer is that I'm at work and not at home where I can watch it go! :thumbs:

PA050428.jpg
alt="" />

PA050429.jpg
alt="" />

PA050430.jpg
alt="" />

Yeah, I just installed a msx 300 on my tank and I admit I have logged a good bit of time just watching it bubble. Kinda peaceful and cool. Mine is still breaking in as well.

Looking good Justin, can't wait to see it when it's broken in!

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Those pics were taken after only a few days. It hasn’t even been running for a week and the skimmate is getting “better.” Every day it gets more efficient at producing a darker skimmate. Absolutely incomparable to my previous skimmer. Please pardon my awe, this is the first time I’ve had a skimmer worth anything and I'm excited about how well it's working.:up: </span></span>

The only other skimmer I've used was made by the somewhat infamous "Advanced Aquaria." Of course they are now out of business. I really had no idea what I was getting other than I needed a protein skimmer. It was the "Excalibur" line and unlike it's lofty namesake it wouldn't slay anything at all.

Ahh I've seen that one. I had it on a nano for a lil bit... they do indeed suck and are loud.

Any change would be an improvement :). I'm glad this skimmer is working out for yah.

Back