MRC Skimmer club!!!

william1

Market
Reaction score
I dont know if theres been one of these threads, but Ive seen one on reef central and thought it was a great idea. Since My Reef Creations is located right here in atlanta.

This might be a good way to exchange ideas about the skimmer on preformance, upgrades, ect..... People having problems with there MRC skimmers can post here for advice.

So post a picture of the skimmer/setup/pump size/tank size, and opinions on the skimmer.... I will start with pics and info.

I have a MR-2 dual beckett with an ozone port that is in use..
I run a MAG 18 and the total water volume is 125 with the tank and sump.

I really like the skimmer, and since Im hands on daily with the tank theres never a problem with me cleaning the becketts 2 or 3 times a week if I feel there dirty. I clean the cup once a week...

Okay here are my pictures...
dscn31530301le5.jpg
alt="" /></a>
26413143qv1.jpg
alt="" /></a>
dscn31620310pc6.jpg
alt="" /></a>
skimmerpics12340313hu7.jpg
alt="" /></a>

That things a POS!!! The person that sold you that probably ripped you off.

I now I was thinking about that as no one wanted to share that they had one. Im gonna have to get with the guy that gave it to me.

MAybe we could generalize it and make it a review on ANY skimmer? LIke a collection of some reviews of the most common ones folks have. I would be able to review my MSX300

This has only been up since last night lets give it a little chance and if all else fails we will generalize the thread. Thanks D.

i bought a MRC 3R on RC with the BL 55. Still haven't got it dialed in. big noisy pump and intakes make a racket and it really doesn't skim well. guess i'll clean it again and keep fiddling with it.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
243083=14068-beckett.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
243083=14068-beckett.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="beckett.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
243083=14069-bl55.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
243083=14069-bl55.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="bl55.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
243083=14070-mrc3r.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
243083=14070-mrc3r.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="mrc3r.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

jamescook;243083 wrote: i bought a MRC 3R on RC with the BL 55. Still haven't got it dialed in. big noisy pump and intakes make a racket and it really doesn't skim well. guess i'll clean it again and keep fiddling with it.

How often do you clean your becketts, and neck of the skimmer?

jamescook;243083 wrote: i bought a MRC 3R on RC with the BL 55. Still haven't got it dialed in. big noisy pump and intakes make a racket and it really doesn't skim well. guess i'll clean it again and keep fiddling with it.
Theres something wrong with the setup. That isnt 1/10 the amount of bubbles it should be making. As Will said, clean and resassemble the becketts. I bet there is a pile of junk in them.

I agree..becketts need TLC. More maintenance but when clean produce some sick bubbles!

I clean the neck and cup once a week but the becketts every other day or so. I believe if the neck has build up it wont allow the bubbles to rise completely to the top. They tend to disapaite.

I know this is probably stupid, but how do you clean the beckett? I clean the cup every two days and wipe out the inside of the skimmer.

<span style="color: #000000">If the Riser Tubes have collected a dark film it is time to clean the skimmer. The skimmer will still function while it is dirty, though less efficiently.</span>
<u><span style="color: #000000">Cleaning the Skimmer Body</span></u>
<ol>
<li><span style="color: #000000">Turn off the skimmer pump.</span></li>
<li><span style="color: #000000">Loosen the nylon screws that connect the riser tubes. It is not necessary to remove the screws.</span></li>
<li><span style="color: #000000">Loosen the nylon screws and remove the lid for the Collection Cup.</span></li>
<li><span style="color: #000000">Using an acrylic safe pad wipe down the Riser Tubes and Collection Cup and rinse with clean water, removing all waste from the tubes and cup.</span></li>
<li><span style="color: #000000">Reassemble in the reverse order making sure the O-Rings seat properly.</span></li>
</ol>
<u><span style="color: #000000"><p style="text-align:center">
mrr3d_3_323.jpg
alt="" />
</span></u>

<u><span style="color: #000000">Cleaning the Injector and Beckett</span></u>
<span style="color: #000000">The Injector Tube can be easily disassembled for cleaning. This should be done at least once every 2 months or if there is a noticeable decline in bubble output.</span>
<ol>
<li><span style="color: #000000">Disconnect the skimmer pump from the top of the injector.</span></li>
<li><span style="color: #000000">Loosen the nylon thumb screws.</span></li>
<li><span style="color: #000000">Turn the top of the injector to unlock the Beckett and lift to remove the injector top and Beckett.</span></li>
<li><span style="color: #000000">Remove the two O-Rings found on the Beckett.</span></li>
<li><span style="color: #000000">Open the Beckett housing and clean to remove any buildup.</span></li>
<li><span style="color: #000000">Reassemble in the reverse order.</span></li>
</ol>

Take the beckett apart just like the picture looks like the piece inside the beckett with the arrow tip and ball should be cleaned free from debre.

Don't accidently reverse the arror tip....seems to almost totally stop the flow and will ruin your pump! Not that this has ever happened to me....

Anyone want to buy a used LG-40?

flyingarmy;243275 wrote: Don't accidently reverse the arror tip....seems to almost totally stop the flow and will ruin your pump! Not that this has ever happened to me....

Anyone want to buy a used LG-40?

LG-40?? whats this

Here is mine. MRC-1 with a mag-12. It might be a mag-12 clone, I'm not sure. 55 gallon display tank, 55 gallon sump and a pair of 20 gallon tanks with extra rock.

>

Back