MRC skimmer help

william1

Market
Reaction score
Ok I have an MRC dual beckett skimmer that seems to be shooting a heck of alot of micro bubbles into the sump which is feeding into the return pump, and back into the tank. Anybody have a clue. I could modify it inside I guess to help shoot the bubbles up the neck of the skimmer instead. I thought I would get a couple of opinions first...

Easier to fix the drain so that it does what it is supposed to: drain the water and allow what few bubbles that make it past to rise to the top of the water column, then run water to the pump without any bubbles. There are many ways to do this, including placing the skimmer in a bucket if you have it placed in the sump, or take it out of the sump and have a drain stack to return the water to the sump

How is your drain set up, and do you have a physical divider between your drain and your return pump in the sump to make the water take a long route to the return pump (so the bubbles can rise to the surface before they get sucked up by the pump)?

Man, those MRC skimmers are crap. Do yourself a favor. Send it to me, I'll deal with it and you can go buy a gem from PetSmart. :)

Will, it's not a skimmer issue, it's more of a sump/setup issue.

Imo if a skimmer is not releasing some bubbles into the sump it is not producing enough bubbles. Do you have a bubble trap in between the skimmer outlet and the return pump?

I dont have a divider between the two so I guess Ill work on that. Its just a tight sqeeze inside the sump on the side with the skimmer. We all know how big these skimmers are.

William, do you have a photo of your sump setup? As Tom said, the baffles will help cut down on the air bubbles tremendously but if you don't have them or don't have enough room for them, there are some other things you can do depending on the amount of room you have in the sump.

William,
A filter sock can cut down tremendously on microbubbles from a skimmer. Just have the skimmer effluent empty into it.
Dave

I think I have the bubble problem solved. But now its all about getting the skimmer to cuagulate spelling isnt correct there but everyone should now what I mean. At certian points there are extreme bubbles and skimmate and at other times theres nothing. And when there nothing its not becuase Ive had my hands in the tank or anything. HMMMM????

WILLIAM1;335636 wrote: I think I have the bubble problem solved. But now its all about getting the skimmer to cuagulate spelling isnt correct there but everyone should now what I mean. At certian points there are extreme bubbles and skimmate and at other times theres nothing. And when there nothing its not becuase Ive had my hands in the tank or anything. HMMMM????

You mean getting a consistent head of foam on the skimmer? If all your equipment is working properly (becketts working), then don't worry about getting foam all the time. My skimmer (Orca 200) doesn't work that way. Sometimes it skims more than others. I don't believe you are going to have a consistent level of organics in the tank 24/7, so you will not have the same level of skimming 24/7 either. I believe skimmate production is correlated with the amount of organics in the tank at any given moment, so as organic waste levels vary, so will skimmate/foam production.
Dave

asunshine;335658 wrote: I have the same problem. Where do you get a filter sock?

Most of our Sponsors carry them. I know Keen Reef does, and Marine Fish.

blu_devl_06;335660 wrote: The 99 cent carbon bags work for me. We use one of thsoe on our shad tank to catch the scales.
either way. filter socks are pretty cheap as well.

Back