mrc2 skimmer problems

fourlittlefish

Reaction score
I just recently installed this skimmer into my sump internally. The problem im having is that when im tuning in the waste gate valve I get the dry bubbles where I need the but the water level rises too high and the bubble disapate to almost nothing but when I open up the waste gate more it bubbles like he'll but doesn't really rise into the cup like it should

You also need to adjust the air valves. MRC's website has instructions on how to do it and in what order.

fourlittlefish;678984 wrote: I just recently installed this skimmer into my sump internally. The problem im having is that when im tuning in the waste gate valve I get the dry bubbles where I need the but the water level rises too high and the bubble disapate to almost nothing but when I open up the waste gate more it bubbles like he'll but doesn't really rise into the cup like it should

#1 - set the gate valve so that the water line in the chamber is approximately 1"-2" above the black base box..

#2 - open the air valve on the injector completely

#3 - done

the bubbles will rise as protein increases within the system.
they dont ALWAYS have to be flowing up to the collection cup..

The water level is 3 1/4 inch above the black box. I have the air intake valve all this he way open. I do not have any more room to pull the skimmer up out of the water ones than making it external. I am missing the o-ring for he top of he beckett and the lid of the water collection cup. I have temporaily silicones it until I replace the orings. It is completely sealed with no additional air seepage.

I had a similar problem with my MRC3 and it was a water flow problem. The pump wasn't strong enough. As soon as I upgraded the pump it worked awesome.

He's got a mag 24 on it. I think the problem is it fluctuates between skimming like crazy and none at all. The only option to lower the water level would be to drill a new connecting pipe for the bulkheads between the two adjoined tanks, 30 gal. sump and 30 gal. fuge. Of course this would mean removing everything, drilling and re-installing both tanks. Not a real easy task but definitely not impossible. Is lowering the water level an inch going to be a determining factor whether this skimmer functions properly or not?

You need to have the air from the beckett injector all the way off to set the water level to 1-2" above the black box. Once it stabilizes then turn the air up until it is skimming like you want. Assuming this is in the sump. Do you have an elbow on the gate valve?

I miss understood about adjust the internal water level. I had a few folks say that the skimmer would not work in sump unless it was raised all the way out of the water. That was the level I was speaking about.

Ya I miss understood as well. I have adjusted the internal water level to the best of my abilities due to a small air leak some where on the orings where I siliconed. But is performing much better. Thanks for all the help im learning as I go just gotta overcome 1 hurdle at a time

replace the O rings asap...

silicone will prevent them from properly sealing in the future..

if your skimmer skims like mad all the time.. it's undersized for the job.. (or it isn't actually pulling anything out)..

skimmer production should fluctuate..

Back