multi-use ALL IN ONE sump

blind1993

Market
Reaction score
before every one even reads the thread let me tell you it is ALL IN ONE no joke.

i was bored one day, so my dad and i were discussing what we were goint to do with the tank when we move. i told he we would use the 55g in the garage for a sump. he suggested that i make the sump be able to have everything i would need so it would look better and be simple. so i came up with this idea.

what if i have a sump with a qt, ro tank, frag tank, refugium, skimmer section, lr section, media area, dosing area, waterchange area(holds saltwater that i want to mix), aggressive fish section, and a section to hold a bunch of alage so it would grow there and not in the DT.

how does everyone think a sump like that will work?

As far as the Q/T goes, I wouldn't tie that into your system water if you're actually treating fish, or else chemicals, diseases, parasites, etc. could migrate into your display. If it's used for a holding tank to acclimate fish and get them fat/healthy before adding them to the display, that would be fine.

And I'm not sure why you'd need to tuck your aggressive fish away in the garage. I would think you'd want them in a separate FOWLR display so you could enjoy them.

As for the other sections:

RO (is that the same as top-off?) - that's done by many
frag tank - that's already done by many and tied into the sump/fuge
refugium - that's done
skimmer section - that's done in the sump
LR section - that's done in the fuge
algae - that's done in the fuge

I guess I'd have to actually see a diagram of your concept to visualize what you mean.

Linda Lee;202948 wrote: As far as the Q/T goes, I wouldn't tie that into your system water if you're actually treating fish, or else chemicals, diseases, parasites, etc. could migrate into your display. If it's used for a holding tank to acclimate fish and get them fat/healthy before adding them to the display, that would be fine.

And I'm not sure why you'd need a place to tuck away your aggressive fish. I would think you'd want them in a separate FOWLR display so you could enjoy them.

the qt part is just for the fish to stay there and get used to the system before it is introduced.

the aggressive fish area would be like lets say you have a clown that hurts everything new that wont fight back, just put the clown there for a month or so and let the fish get used to the tank and then introduce it back into the tank.

the qts water will not be mixed with the systems water. And the frag tank and fuge will be combined along with the aggressive fish holdinga area(so i can have more frags.)

You can't have a fuge-frag-agressive fish area. If the fuge is working correctly, the macro will swallow the frags.

You would need a long tank for this plan to even remotely work. A 55 won't cut it. Count how many sections you want. Then look at how long your 55 is.

Let's say, for arguments sake, you split the tank into 10g sections. that gives you 5 x 10g and 1x 5g.

10-RO
10-Waterchange
10-skimmer
10-LR/Fuge
10-QT
5-media

Is that really a feasible option?

Yeah, it sounds like you're talking like fish store sized tanks, if you are, then sweet, but you're gonna' need a monster tank to put all that in one!

Back