Muriatic acid

olds350racer

Market
Reaction score
It's been suggested to me to use muriatic acid to get rid of calcium buildup on equipment. Is there any tricks/tips to using it (like don't mix it with ____ or dilute it with ____)? I'm not a chemist... so I try to use caution when using a chemical I've never used before (especially the ones with "acid" in the name). :) Thanks for any advice.

Use a 1 to 20 (acid/water) solution and it works wonders on calcium deposits.

be real careful about the fumes from concentrate..They can REALLY get to ya. but yeah..like mufret, I suggest diluting it.

Keep in mind that you ALWAYS add acid to water not the other way around. Doing the reverse may cause a violent reaction and acid may spray all over the place... not a good thing :).

FutureInterest;181034 wrote: Keep in mind that you ALWAYS add acid to water not the other way around. Doing the reverse may cause a violent reaction and acid may spray all over the place... not a good thing :).

Thanks for clarifying Jin! Was trying to keep the answer short and left out a very important fact.

FutureInterest;181034 wrote: Keep in mind that you ALWAYS add acid to water not the other way around. Doing the reverse may cause a violent reaction and acid may spray all over the place... not a good thing :).

From Chemistry 101- "add acid to the wat-ah, just like you oughtta". I paid money to go go to college to learn that!</em>

Oh, and if you want a less scary alternative, you can just use white vinegar. It is cheap and "safe".

Yeah- muratic acid is pretty serious stuff. If you really have a need for it (vinegar will work for everything fish related I can think of), be sure</em> to dilute it, and use it outside. The fumes are killer...

Also- be careful what it touches. I'm not 100% sure what the affect of it is against the variety of plastics, acrylics, and solvents that we use in our tanks... the pH of muratic acid is around 1.0 - typical use is to etch concrete.

Lastly, I'm not a chemist, but you might want to post-soak eveything with something like SeaChem Prime (chlorine binder) to help remove any residual chlorine that's left over.

Or just use vinegar... :)

I used CLR to clean my pumps last time. Worked great. Much better, and safer than acid. Rinse it well.

I use MA all the time. 1 to 20 ish always works for me. I haven't ever melted anything or such. LOL. Just be somewhat cautious and you will be fine.

Anybody who says just use vinegar has never tried the stuff! If works 10 times better and way faster. dilute heavily 20:1 is about right and avoid the fumes but powerheads can be cleaned in a couple hours rather then overnight. etc.

I also run it through my plumbing, skimmers, pumps etc. once a year to clean out all the calcarious tubeworms, etc. works awesome.

kwl1763;182088 wrote: Anybody who says just use vinegar has never tried the stuff!

Or, just doesnt want to die from the mustard gas that stuff makes!:D

Thanks for all the input everyone.

After doing a little research, I was reminded of this fact. That's what made me decide to double check my memory from chemistry class. :)

Thanks again.

Back