Murky water. Doh!

zboyblue

Market
Reaction score
I got my rock home last night and went to put it in the tank. I thought "you know, I'll put the sand in first so I don't get it all over the rocks later". Well, poof! Cloudy cloudy.

I said well I'll let it clear up and deal with it tomorrow. Tomorrow is here, I get home and was like wow, I can see the rocks and I sat them in there pretty good blind! Well let me check the sump before starting. Oh, the sponge looks dirty from the dust. I'll just clean it real quick. The moment I touch it pooof! Tank full of cloud again!

Doh!

This seems like it's going to be a vicious cycle. Thoughts? The only thing I thought of was to shut the pump off, clean the sponge, suck the water out of the sump, and refill with new water.

Was hoping to arrange my rocks tonight!

985382=56273-uploadfromtaptalk1410830825019.jpg
>
985382=56273-uploadfromtaptalk1410830825019.jpg
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1410830825019.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Did you rinse the sand first?

I always recommend putting rock in first, then the sand. You want the rock on the bottom of the tank, not on sand, which can (and will) shift, and cause an avalanche later.

Rinse the sand, and then to minimize the 'dust bowl' effect, put it in a ziploc bag, sink it into the tank, then open it at the bottom and empty the sand, and repeat as many times as is needed.

Since that ship has already sailed, you can try some Seachem Clarity, it will flock the fine particles and make them sink, or make them large enough for your filter pad/sponge to catch - especially if you didn't rinse the sand first, there will be a ton of fine dust that you'd best get rid of.

Jenn

Most people place their rocks in first, add sand, and then finally add water. Your just going to have to let it settle out. I would clean your return pump filter (if it has one) and I would clean any other filter media. Your not running your skimmer are you?

You should always put the rocks in before the sand. Animals can and will burrow it out and can cause a rock slid. Crash, splash, water on the floor.

Take rocks out. Remove sand. Replace rocks replace sand and rinse first

&#128560; no.... I didn't think to rinse. I have always used live sand in the past and haven't needed to. Didn't know any better. :-(

Skimmer is running, and removing some of this stuff. Should I not be?

Rocks/Sand - Yea I was told that if I put sand in first to make sure to twist the rocks down to the bottom to prevent just that. Now that I think about it I might rake the sand away from the middle, put the rocks, rake the sand back.

I do NOT want to remove it all. Tell me I don't need to! : (

Oh boy- I your in the beginning of your cycle, there is no need to run your skimmer. So now all those fine particles of sand are probably inside your pump housing of the skimmer and your return pump. It probably won't hurt it, but if you can take apart to clean, I would.

GOOD GRIEF!! I just stirred the sand "just to see" and it tripped the cloud, and I only stirred in one spot. SIGH. I guess I AM going to have to drain the thing and start over. SO AGGRAVATING!

Weeeeelll so I emptied the rock to the trash can and covered with water. I drained the tank with an extra pump I bought and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and finally got the sand clean. I scooped it all into plastic grocery store bags and put in a plastic tote.

Now if I had the energy I should go to Walmart and get salt ... but I don't, and I have an early meeting at the office. Sooo ... looks like I will be starting again tomorrow night. Until then, pump in the rock can.

I might get this right eventually. It's been a while ... any other tips to keep me from screwing up further? ;-)

Craig

Research first - then do. That's my tip :)

Not sure who would recommend 'screwing the rock into the sand' but I'd stay far away from that person.

Walmart doesn't sell marine salt - at least to my knowledge... what brand are you getting there?

Better to hit that learning curve now, before you get live things involved :) We'll help you out!

Jenn

Also are you running filter docks or floss? It will help pretty quick as well.

Just put a filter sock in. But have started over... So THAT should do it! ;-)

JennM, I thought I had, and have asked a lot of questions. I didn't think to read the sand bag and it may have said there. Need to slow down a little maybe.

Thanks for the help.

zboyblue;985460 wrote: Just put a filter sock in. But have started over... So THAT should do it! ;-)

JennM, I thought I had, and have asked a lot of questions. I didn't think to read the sand bag and it may have said there. Need to slow down a little maybe.

Thanks for the help.

Everything good in this hobby comes from patience. I don't always have the easiest time with that, but I've messed up when in a hurry.

I highly recommend reading first before doing. It will save you a lot of grief as Jenn said in the long run.

I've seen some people fix the new-sand duststorm by lining a net with polyfloss (NOT the flame-retardant kind) and sweeping it through the tank for several minutes a few times. Or suspend the net contraption in front of a powerhead and just change it out a few times.

That and a dose of a flocculant should get things fixed.

With all the sediment from unrinsed sand, though, any time he tinkers in the tank it will create a new dust-bowl.

JennM;985502 wrote: With all the sediment from unrinsed sand, though, any time he tinkers in the tank it will create a new dust-bowl.

Maybe, but once the rock work is set, there should not be much reason to muss with the substrate. But sure, some filter floss in a filter sock, or a flocculent like you said. Just depends if the OP can live with the cloudiness for a while. He's nowhere near to having anything in it yet, so he has time.

OP could probably speed up the process by sticking some polyester floss in the sock as well.

Back