Mushroom coral

Smithhansen

Market
Reaction score
I was out of town and my mom was taking care of my tank and I get home and the salinity is at 1.030 and half of my zoa’s are closed up and all my mushrooms are shriveled up but not discolored it expelling anything. I immediately do a major water change and I’m in the middle of that. Are the mushrooms dead can I do anything besides the water change. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was out of town and my mom was taking care of my tank and I get home and the salinity is at 1.030 and half of my zoa’s are closed up and all my mushrooms are shriveled up but not discolored it expelling anything. I immediately do a major water change and I’m in the middle of that. Are the mushrooms dead can I do anything besides the water change. Thanks.

Sounds like it went up due to evaporation and no topoff water. Unless she was adding something that would increase salinity... How's the level in your return chamber?

Yea, take it slow. You could start with a gallon at a time. Here's a water change schedule based on 25 total gallons in the system. If you know exactly what your total system volume is I can fine tune it for you. This will get it to 1.025.

1. Remove 1 G and then add 1 G @ 0 ppt
In order to reach 38.19 ppt.
2. Remove 1 G and then add 1 G @ 0 ppt
In order to reach 36.66 ppt.
3. Remove 1 G and then add 1 G @ 0 ppt
In order to reach 35.19 ppt.
4. Remove 1 G and then add 1 G @ 0 ppt
In order to reach 33.79 ppt.
5. Remove 1 G and then add 1 G @ 18.85 ppt
In order to reach 33.19 ppt.

Oh, I'd do it over two days min. And if you keep your tank at 1.0264 then stop at step 3 and your pretty much there.

@Steve Burton @anit77 If you are replace saltwater with rodi for a reason other than evaporation, wouldn't that cause an imbalance of all the elements (alk, calc, mag, major/minor trace), or am I overthinking it? I faced a similar dilemma once when my calibration solution was off. I started with that method to fix it, but switched to water changes because of this concern. If replacing with rodi, it is probably best to at least do a water change when the salinity gets back to normal.

Okay, like I said, maybe I am just overthinking it.

With the salinity that high every other component in the salt mix is high too. This will bring everything down with the salinity but once the SG is back where he wants it, a thorough set of testing would be a good idea as well. If not that, wait a couple days and do a bigger water change to get things closer inline. Much easier to do with a smaller system like this.

Back