Mushroom ID

lorenk

Market
Reaction score
I don't know much about mushrooms. I recently bought a bunch of live rock that is covered in mushrooms. A lot of them are bullseye, but there are these (see pic)...are these Rhodactis?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
153914=9591-IMG_1128.jpg
>
153914=9591-IMG_1128.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_1128.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I got a large rock covered in those from Tim and I believe he called them green fuzzy mushrooms. (or maybe he said green hairy mushrooms...)

One of my clowns loves to dive into them and suck on those tentacle looking things on it. Weird... :huh:

Loren, from what I've read, yes those are Rhodactis. The forked tentacles are a trait of these as well as the size they get to. I have some that are 6 to 8 inches across. They also may have pink mouths. Hairy mushroom is one of the common names.

i have one that is very similar if not the same and was sold to me as an elephant ear mushroom. Mine started out about the size of a quarter now its about the size of a small dinner plate. Grows very fast!

Hairy Neon Green Mushroom who spreads quite rapidly. They split very strange, swelling up to 5'' dia, looking like it's spewing worms out the center, and later splitting into 3 seperate shrooms.

Beautiful creature, one of my favorite animals in the reef tank!

Back