My 1.5 year old Naso Tang is dying

chauwall

Market
Reaction score
My former super fat naso tang that I've had for 1.5 years has been slowly getting skinnier and skinnier over the last month. He eats like crazy and still has been losing weight. I feed him and the other fish a homemade blend of the frozen seafood mix from Super H, mysis, brine, add Brightwells vitamins, all soaked in garlic guard. And they get nori every other day.

Today, he stopped eating and is waffling around the tank. It is so sad to lose a fish that has been thriving for a year for no apparent reason.

Anyone know what I can do? It is probably too late now that he's not eating at all. What could be wrong? All of my other fish are doing fine.

Like Barbara said, it's probably an internal parasite. I'd try a formalin dip at the max recommended dosage -it's about the only chance you've got at this point.

Shoot! Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I bet no one is open for me to get that Formalin. Can I do a freshwater dip? The naso has been one of my favorite fish so if I can save him, I'll try it.

I did try to introduce some anthias from Keen Reef (didn't make it) and 2 budda cardinals (didn't eat from the start) from Marine Design about 3 months ago and 1 month ago respectively ....I know, bad aquarist. I was so excited that I didn't even ask them to feed at the store.

We have the Formalin if you would like to come to Roswell to get it. You could pick up tonight or tomorrow morning before noon if you want to drive over.

Chau, I have a 16oz bottle of formalin 3 if you want to borrow it. I won't be home tomorrow, but I can leave it on my doorstep if you want to come by and grab it.

I picked up some Formalin from Mr and Mrs. Mojo (thanks so much guys). He's soaking in it as we speak, however I don't think he's going to make it. He's already floating on his side. :sad:

Thanks everyone for the advice. It will take a miracle for him to make it thru the night. My 5 year old clownfish is going to miss his bunkmate :sad:

He has been dipped and back in the tank last night. He did make it this morning but not swimming, just perched up against a rock. Happy Thanksgiving! I'll keep ya'll posted.

He didn't make it-passed away on Thanksgiving:sad:. Lesson learned-once you find something different with your fish, diagnose it, and treat ASAP. Once they stop eating-they are pretty much gone.

Thanks everyone.

Barbara;249740 wrote: I'm so sorry to hear that Chau. Sometimes these bad things happen. It sounds like you did a good job with him though. Sometimes you just can't stop the inevitable.
Agreed....Sorry for your loss

Very sorry to hear. It's always tough to lose a fish.

From the description it was most likely an intestinal worm of some kind.

They are really very easy to treat with prazi pro or straight praziqueninal in the food. Best thing to do if you see it happening again is to try to get into a qt and do this. It's a short treatment only need to do it for once and then once a week later.

I do this as part of new fish treatment with all tangs and other grazers as it's fairly common.

Back