My 46g build

haninja

Lifetime
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Arial;">I got this deal from our sister forum that included a 46g bowfront, stand, wet/dry, coralife skimmer, mag5, overflow and spray bar.</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">The guy who sold it also had MH fixture that he was using but decided to keep it. The tank was left in the dark (relatively speaking</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">because the location where the tank was standing was very bright) for a few month.</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">This is what it looked like when I picked it up:</span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;">
Picture001.jpg
alt="" /></span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;">And the equipment:</span>

Picture002.jpg
alt="" /></span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;">And BTY, I also got all the LR with the deal…</span>

Picture003.jpg
alt="" /></span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;">So I started venturing into building a canopy for this baby. To say the least, building a bowfront canopy is a challenge… </span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">I was trying to find other build threads for a bowfront but could only come up with a couple. My first idea was to find very thin wood to </span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">make the bow and force the curve by cutting a piece to length and nailing/gluing it. Since I couldn’t find the wood I resorted to the second </span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">option of 3 panes mimicking the way the stand was constructed. It’s all about the angles…</span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;">This is what it looks like</span>

IMG_0537.jpg
alt="" /></span>

IMG_0538.jpg
alt="" /></span>

IMG_0539.jpg
alt="" /></span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;">You might notice on the last picture, I have attached two supporting beams on the back of the stand. There’s a carriage bolt going through </span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">the hood and the wood support beam giving the wholes hood a pivot point so it can be raised. I’ll post closer pictures later.</span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;">Now it’s off to paint.</span>

wow, that looks great! looks like you are having fun. Who is our sister forum?

Xyzpdq0121;57339 wrote: Wanna build me a 38 Gal canopy?!? ;)

Looks great!!!

<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">I’ll be happy to advice.:thumbs: I think that I need a little brake after this build…</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;">I managed to paint and wire the hood over the past week.</span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;">BTW, I noticed that sometimes the pictures don’t show up, just refresh the page.</span>

IMG_0543.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_0540.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_0541.jpg
alt="" />

More to come...

That is a kick@$$ setup you have built! (obviously not the technical term for a fantastic looking canopy and lighting) I will be interested in seeing how it makes the tank look.

<span style="font-family: Tahoma;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="font-family: Tahoma;">Tank is up and cycling.</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Tahoma;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="font-family: Tahoma;"></span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Tahoma;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="font-family: Tahoma;">
IMG_0553.jpg
alt="" /></span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Tahoma;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="font-family: Tahoma;">
IMG_0554.jpg
<span style="font-family: Tahoma;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="font-family: Tahoma;"></span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Tahoma;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="font-family: Tahoma;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Under actinic </span></span></span>
IMG_0561.jpg
alt="" />

<span style="font-family: Tahoma;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="font-family: Tahoma;">Full halide
IMG_0564.jpg
</span>

wbholwell;62086 wrote: Looks Awesome! How's the temp.?

<span style="font-family: Tahoma;">Can’t tell yet, I not running my lights since I’m still cycling. These pictures were just a test drive…</span>
<span style="font-family: Tahoma;">The lights are mounted relatively high – about 9” – and I have double 120mm fans. I’ll probably start running the lights next week.</span>

that aquascape is cool but somepeople like to turn up the heater so that bacteria can breed so i think u might do that. but i have not done it so ask someone else also if it is best to do that.

Back