My 50 gl sump build

dave

Market
Reaction score
<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I<font size="2" data-gcupd="font-2"><!-- gcu-updated --> just finished building my sump and fairly happy with how it came out. Its 36" long by 18" high and 18" wide which makes it total capacity 50 gallons. I used 1/4" acrylic and relied on this website </span></span></font><!-- gcu-updated SIZE -->http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html">[COLOR=#606420]http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html</span></a> for ideas.[/COLOR]

<span style="color: black;">The right side chamber is for the skimmer and has baffles to reduce bubbles to the middle section where the return pump will be located. The left side is for the refugium. Instead of cutting teeth into the wall I slotted out a piece and then covered it with plastic mesh to keep snails and other things going over the side.</span>

<span style="color: black;">I learned a lot during glue up! The main thing is to plan ahead on how you will apply the glue. I attached the 4 sides to the bottom and then tried to glue in the baffles and wall. Big mistake. But it’s done and now I need to plumb it to the display tank.</span>
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend> [IMG]http://atlantareefclub.org/boards/data/uploads/attachments/191574=11563-Sump1.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg>
191574=11563-Sump1.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Sump1.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

looks good ....make sure you water test it for a couple of hours first before you plumb it in.

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Rickey – Thanks for the tip. I actually waited like a week before filling it.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Carty – Thank you.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Jade76 – I had to water test like 3 times because of a bad glue up in the baffles. Now that I know NOT to glue on the last wall before all of the internal walls are done and tight, it will go allot faster next time.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Ace1204 – Now I see why these dang things are so expensive! It’s not the cutting but the gluing up that takes forever. If you are serious about wanting one made, pm me. It would be cost plus $100 in live rock, fish, pump, lights, or something else I need!</span></span>

I figured, I know I get excited sometimes, and waiting is just not in the cards...lol

I was going to make one from an old fish tank but im liking that idea less and less the more I look at it. Could I pay cost + the old fish tank I was using + a little cash?? Im a broke college student so if I could barter that would be awesome

Stickx – I love this hobby but hate the waiting too. Maybe it will teach me some patience. :unsure:

Carty – Since we work for the same company (and I also remember what it was like as a staving student) I’ll cut you a deal.

Andrew – The 4’x8’ sheet of ¼ cost $233. The saw blade and glue were next to nothing.

I'll start plumbing tonight which will be slick since the tank is my sons bedroom and the sump is in the garage. Some pics maybe later.

Do it! I got the plastic at Piedmont Plastics:
<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">1800 WILSON WAY, SUITE 7</span></span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">Smyrna</span></span><span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">, </span></span><span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">GA</span></span><span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Arial;">30082</span></span></span></span><span style="font-family: Arial;">
<span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="color: black;">Toll Free: 800-868-7898</span></span></span>
<span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="color: black;">Phone: 770-433-3454</span></span></span>
<span style="font-size: 12px;"><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="color: black;">Fax: 770-433-8285</span></span></span></span>

<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Ask for DJ. I got the Plexiglas-G which is cell cast. It’s more expensive than extruded but others on the internet say don’t use extruded for tanks or sumps.</span></span></span></span>

<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">The glue I used is Weld-On which I could not find locally and bought online. Also, got a 100 tooth circular saw blade from Home Depot.</span></span></span></span>

<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">I'm going to plumb it with 1" flexable PVC whick I bought online. Since I got a 50' ft roll I'll sell you what you need for $1.25 per ft (which is what I paid)</span></span></span></span>

<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">PM me when you build your sump and I'll lend a hand.</span></span></span></span>

<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">PS - Pick up some plastic right angle squares while you are at the Depot. You'll need them when you glue up the walls and baffles.</span></span></span></span>

It's plumbed and wet!!! Yea!

Here it is set up in the garage. The display tank is located on the other side of the rear wall in my sons bedroom. Water drains down to the upper left corner via flex PVC and attaches to the manifold with the ball valves. Each chamber got it's own valve so I can control flow. The valve on the far right is for future use. I'm think of installing a utility sink in the garage and would plumb it to the manifold for water changes.

It's hard to see but the Mag 5 return pump is in the middle chamber and I need to cut out the excess tubing once I have the final position of the other end in the display tank.

As you can see I have 4" of sand in the fuge and some rock just chilling there. This is where I found the majano as discovered in the other thread.

I'm glad it's done and now on to finishing the display!!!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
193846=11670-Finish sump.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
193846=11670-Finish sump.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Finish sump.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Looks good man.
How's the mesh working out? I would think it would get blocked quite easily with particulate?

Skriz;193890 wrote: Looks good man.
How's the mesh working out? I would think it would get blocked quite easily with particulate?

No, it's really working out well. Only thing is that the snails like to hang out on it I guess becuase the flow is good for them. I flick them off and they climb right back up to the mesh!

You will notice that the top of the wall is lower than the top of the sump...just in case.

Back