My attempt to make a reef safe magnet

Rickdareefa

Supporting
Reaction score
So i had a few diy frag racks and had been using neodymium magnets as they were the only ones i could find that were strong enough. I tried ceramic magnets in many different sizes and they just weren't strong enough. But i found out after another member was buying a frag rack and he saw rust on the neodymium magnets that had been sitting in my tank few months and i had no idea. So i refunded his money and threw the rack in my closet along with the other diy racks. After months i came back across them and decided to try and reef proof them. Let me know if you think they are reef safe now.
I first sanded them20210113_155421.jpg20210113_160116.jpg
I then painted them with fusion spray paint witch is considered to be reef safe20210113_160823.jpg20210113_163403.jpg
I then coated both sides with liquid epoxy resin
20210115_131442.jpg20210115_134324.jpg20210115_134348.jpg
And heres the finished product
20210118_153002.jpg20210118_152949.jpg
So what do ya think? Would you consider these reef safe now?

I don't know. The epoxy looks kind of thin.
I'd be shooting of a minimum of 1/8" to 3/16" around every surface of the magnet.

With the painting, why Black an not white? White will show any corrosion quickly and if the magnet is exposed to the lighting, black can heat up causing thermal expansion.
With the epoxy and the lights, is that product uv stable?

I did black cuz i had it already from painting old plumbing. I used the epoxy pictured cus i already had it. And as to your last question, is it uv what?.....lol who knows. Its plain ole clear 2 part epoxy resin. I was just bored and was wondering if anyone else has done this. Looking for some tips and tricks..

I wouldn't hesitate to use them in my tank. Easy to check periodically for signs of trouble. I had some similar, I painted with acrylic nail polish and wrapped with epoxy putty, no signs of degradation after @ 2 years. I have a fish trap and frag rack from Tony that the magnets started rusting on, I need to do some work on, I'll probbly just sand and coat with a few layers of super glue.

Attachments

• 20210118_163413.jpg
    20210118_163413.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
I wouldn't hesitate to use them in my tank. Easy to check periodically for signs of trouble. I had some similar, I painted with acrylic nail polish and wrapped with epoxy putty, no signs of degradation after @ 2 years. I have a fish trap and frag rack from Tony that the magnets started rusting on, I need to do some work on, I'll probbly just sand and coat with a few layers of super glue.
Yea steve youre the one that actually gave me the ideal. Although it was like 4 months ago(im lazy lol) never even considered acrylic nail polish

Has anyone tried the one’s from Amazon, or a direct source supplier?

At $1.40 each for an epoxy coated rare earth magnet, it seems pretty low risk & low labor too.

Has anyone tried the one’s from Amazon, or a direct source supplier?

At $1.40 each for an epoxy coated rare earth magnet, it seems pretty low risk & low labor too.

That sounds like a good idea. Bout the same price as the uncoated ones

For what ever reason I've had just about every non-powerhead or Tunze ATO magnet fail on me. Nori clips, gourmet grazers, probe holders and a frag rack. The only rack with magnets that didn't fail was one that had the magnet sealed in acrylic. For me, for whatever reason, saltwater always finds a way in. I guess that's why I'm over paranoid.

Back