My Ca Reactor Dilemma

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
After setting up my 90g and adding deciding I wanted to do more of an SPS tank I convinced myself to purchase a calcium reactor. I got a deal on a complete setup (reactor with pump, media, PM1, pH probe, CO2 tank, and regulator) for my system. Well without thinking it through, I really don't have room for a reactor with my current sump setup. I currently have a 30" sump and a 5g water jug under my tank and that's all the room I have. With a 20-24" sump I would be able to fit it all.

Lately I have been thinking of scrapping the whole reactor setup and going with a nicer dosing setup like a Vertex Libra or the like, even waiting for the new Apex setup, so I can mount it out of the way. I would probably have room for some small containers of dosing solution. My tank demands aren't too bad now but like I said I want to focus more on SPS and hopefully get some better growth out of my SPS and LPS.

What would you guys do?

Just thinking outside of the box...

1. Remote sump room
2. New taller canopy that could house the reactor above the tank.
3. I have seen many people add a cabinet next to the aquarium stand for additional equipment.

Remote room is a no go.

Not sure about mounting above but seem like it could end badly.

I have considered an equipment cabinet. The tank is in our living room in the front of our house so there's not a whole lot of room for more storge. Plus the wife is pretty firm with no equipment outide the tank.

I would go with the Ca reactor first, since you have one already. Have you been at SEA Atlanta? I'd suggest you go there and take a look inside their cube set-up. It's really neat the way they pack everything together. If you can't go there they might like to post a pic of that amazing cube they have :D

How about just running the reactor remotely and running 1/4" intake/output alomg floor molding, or through a wall?

12721669995_331708fc69_b.jpg
alt="" /></a>
https://flic.kr/p/koaTgR">IMG_8017</a> by [IMG]https://www.flickr.com/people/41554976@N07/">slu13913</a>, on Flickr

[IMG]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r152/HiInSean/IMG_7531_zps56821058.jpg alt="" />

That's the area I'm working with. Behind the tank you can see is the front door. I could try to find some sort of night stand or end table to put in the corner behind/beside the chair to put top off water or the reactor setup but space is even limited there.

Sean can I get a picture of inside the stand, you can text it to me if that works better.

Here is one option, I figure you have a 48 long Stand and a 30 inch sump, that leaves give or take 18 inches to play with without the reservoir.
If you can get a custom reservoir built 15 inches or 16 inches long 15 or 16 inches tall but only 6 inches deep that leaves you enough room in front of the reservoir for calcium reactor.

If you can one made, the taller would give you more ato.
15x5x15 is about 5 gallons, give you more foot print to work with in the stand.
Your cal. Rec. foot print is 9x10x18 tall, I say work with what you have, just reconfigure a little.

HiImSean;991728 wrote: Geo612

Do you have room to put the CaRx in the sump? Should not be an issue to do so if you have the Eheim recircrc pump on the reactor. I thought this might save you same space.

It's possibly it will fit in the sump. I've never tried/thought of doing that.

Your dimensions are about the same as mine and I have 6 gal ato, phos reactor, protein skimmer, doser, and ca reactor. I also have a ruby sump.
1aede0055f8f8926d1d78b85d8aca7ff.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The green ones Walmart used to sell but they don't have them anymore at mine. Try the garden section and the camping section. If not, I have one.

Back