My chase to reduce phosphates

kzoo

Market
Reaction score
I have had a battle with phosphates since I have set up my tank , I have check all the usual suspects - RO filters, Feeding, water changes. I came to the conclusion that my rocks have it bound up in them and keeping my reading at 1.5 to 1.0. I have a bio pellet reactor, run filter socks, algae reactor (have to prune about once every week) GFO (getting expensive) very oversized skimmer and I have been doing weekly water changes.
I have decided to try a produce called phosphate RX- i.e. Latium chloride after watching a blog from Melvin's reef. I started with a half dose of recommended last night and this morning tested my water and it dropped my readings down to .8 so it worked and all fish and coral look good. I will see if this will help long term or if it just a short term result.

I'd be interested in seeing the results. I was chasing phosphates since I moved. Even with brand new filters in my Rodi, I was registering .25 still out of the Rodi. All the rock I removed from the 300 I was thinking about soaking it in that stuff and then drying it out til I get the bigger tank built.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Well so far so good numbers have been cut in half, .5 I am going to do a few big water changes to try to get down more.

I have seen lots of people cycle there rock this way with good results, bigger tank ? Nice!

So far so good no problems with fish or coral, i didn't do full dosage split it up over 3 days also ran through a filter sock to catch the bound up phosphates. Less algae on the glass and water is crystal clear ,reading is staying around .3 and i feel it could be lower but im not going for ultra low system.

kzoo;1111329 wrote: So far so good no problems with fish or coral, i didn't do full dosage split it up over 3 days also ran through a filter sock to catch the bound up phosphates. Less algae on the glass and water is crystal clear ,reading is staying around .3 and i feel it could be lower but im not going for ultra low system.

What size sock did you use? I read you have to use a pretty small pore size sock.

So is the PO4 rising if you do nothing, or is that a pretty stable number in the tank?
I mean.. if you do nothing and the PO4 = x... if you test a month later will it still be X?, or will it be X+?

Yes smaller micron sock is better and i removed it 24 hours later.

Yes my phosphates dropped and are staying stable, it just knocked the amount in half and stayed the same for over a week now. My rocks have cleaned up well and now seeing more coraline, hope it stays that way! I will update my results.

Yes I know .3 is not low but coming from 1.0 it is a bad result , my last tank ran .3 to .5 and had great growth and color. I am sure my rock is the problem and once the leaching stops it will drop more.

Interesting information and sounds so easy!
Glad you've been successful in the PO4 reduction, that can be so frustrating.

Please give us an update in a few days/weeks.

Thanks

Back