my cheato dont grow

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
Got some chaeto from Victor a couple of months ago for my new fuge. It stayed about the same size the whole time. But a few weeks ago began to disapear. I did a little research and found it could be due to one of these factors.
Light, flow or water quality (too good that is)

So I just added a grow light I got from HD (2 weeks)... nothing! Also increase the flow a bit. I really cant do much about the good water quality. I have an over sized skimmer I only run on the weekend.

Any suggestions welcome.

Uhh...oh yeah.
Anyone got any chaeto to spare???;)

I use 5500 k compact fluorescents

To keep my cheato going, I dose a few drops of live phyto and a couple of drops of iron on alternate days. Works great! And pods are many!

I had my cheato under a compact fl, and it about withered away to nothing. Put it under my T-5's in my tank and it took off. I now have it in my sump with a couple 6500K flood CF lights from HD and it's growing good. Gotta have good lights.

Unlike others I have found the best way to grow it is to use a regular 100 watt light bulb and the silver surround like you would use as a work light. I have to keep giving mine away.

Mine never grows, great flow, and light. I just have good water quality. That could be the reason why yours isnt growing.

I have tried the 100 watt bulb with the reflector. The 6500k light seem to be the recuring suggestion. I will hook one up this weekend.

I increased the flow in my fuge a bit...but I always though SLOOOW flow was best in the fuge.

TriGa22;204097 wrote: Mine never grows, great flow, and light. I just have good water quality. That could be the reason why yours isnt growing.

I fear this is REALLY my problem as well.

So what <u>do</u> you keep in your fuge Tri??

TriGa22;204097 wrote: Mine never grows, great flow, and light. I just have good water quality. That could be the reason why yours isnt growing.

Exacly why I add iron & phyto!

BASSCYN;204158 wrote: Hmm...phyto I am familiar with. Iron? is there a "marine" iron supplement?

no I use "one-a-day w iron"!

OK, J/K!

Yeah! Kent's, Seachem, Salifert, many, many more! I drop 2-3 drops every other day of each iron & phyto (alternate days).
That 8 buck jar of iron is going on a year. I think if you Can find one without manganese, it is supposedly better, but I just use Kent's.

a>

Back