My Clowns are Spawning

Well, it will probably be tiny fish = great fish food. I can't get to the location where the eggs are without breaking down the scape. Everybody has jumped, so its just these 2 spawn of satan clown fish and a Foxface, I guess they'll be fat and happy.
Has anybody here successfully raised clowns from fry? They're just plain ole Oc. clowns, not really anything people are actively seeking, but it might be kinda fun to try it.

I started just like you watching the first two hatches and then deciding to try to to help them survive. If you don't have the time it's best to let them be, however, if you decide to make the time to raise the fry make sure you do it for the experience and learning. You can be successful with leaving the eggs right where they are, I just kill the pumps on the night of the hatch and use a fry trap. For my first try at it I was plenty successful just using a flashlight and a siphon hose to catch the fry. You won't catch all of them, but it's not necessary you'll still have plenty of fry to work with. I prefer this way as the clowns do a great job of caring for them and I think it's more natural for them. If raising for maximum numbers of fry, then you would want to try a clay pot and remove the fry the night before the hatch. You can check out my thread and I'll be happy to help if you decide to go forward with raising them, it is rewarding and I found it difficult to part with my babies even though I knew 27 clowns in one tank was a really bad idea.

Some things have gotten easier, like I have been told Atlanta Aquarium is carrying rotifers and Reef Nutrition products, that alone will save you about $150 I spent in shipping costs. My most successful batch was actually the first one, there were several batches for me where only 1-5 fry made it to the grow out phase. The tricky transitions are from feeding rotifiers to either pellets (TDO A) or live brine shrimp as an intermediate food before pellets, the first water change, (drip in everything, make up water, RODI replenishment water) and lastly moving them out of the fry tank into a grow out tank.

I started just like you watching the first two hatches and then deciding to try to to help them survive. If you don't have the time it's best to let them be, however, if you decide to make the time to raise the fry make sure you do it for the experience and learning. You can be successful with leaving the eggs right where they are, I just kill the pumps on the night of the hatch and use a fry trap. For my first try at it I was plenty successful just using a flashlight and a siphon hose to catch the fry. You won't catch all of them, but it's not necessary you'll still have plenty of fry to work with. I prefer this way as the clowns do a great job of caring for them and I think it's more natural for them. If raising for maximum numbers of fry, then you would want to try a clay pot and remove the fry the night before the hatch. You can check out my thread and I'll be happy to help if you decide to go forward with raising them, it is rewarding and I found it difficult to part with my babies even though I knew 27 clowns in one tank was a really bad idea.

Some things have gotten easier, like I have been told Atlanta Aquarium is carrying rotifers and Reef Nutrition products, that alone will save you about $150 I spent in shipping costs. My most successful batch was actually the first one, there were several batches for me where only 1-5 fry made it to the grow out phase. The tricky transitions are from feeding rotifiers to either pellets (TDO A) or live brine shrimp as an intermediate food before pellets, the first water change, (drip in everything, make up water, RODI replenishment water) and lastly moving them out of the fry tank into a grow out tank.
Pretty sure I will try eventually, but I think, like you, I will just watch for the first batch or 2. I don't really know how old these eggs are either.

First two days after spawning the eggs are orange, then they go brown before they start becoming silverish, on the day of hatch they will be very silver in coloration and my son says he can see their eyes if he looks closely. If you can keep track of the first day the eggs appear and count the number of days until they disappear, you will know when the next batch will hatch. For my pair, it is a hatch every 8 days with 3 days in between spawnings.

Back