My Clowns Really Want a Host.

joeyprice

Reaction score
They're trying desperately to take up residence in my euphyllia, but they're just not big enough to host them. I'm reluctant to add a nem, as I've heard stories about them motoring all over the tank stinging the crap out of things while looking for their happy spot. How true is this?

As a side note, in a desperate attempt to get them into the frogspawn as a host I showed them pictures of clowns living in coral on an Ipad. They looked like they'd been leaning that direction and now its pretty obvious they're trying to move in. Coincidence?

In my experience, the only problem with BTAs is that they can start splitting on you then you have a bunch. My rockwork cannot be removed, so it is a PITA to try to pry them out of the rock. If your rockwork can be picked up, I see it as less of an issue. I have never had them go anywhere I did not want them. My anemones love their clowns. My euphyllia, not so much.

Despite having 10+ nems our clowns still prefer the GSP to host in. Might just be the flow in that part of the tank.

I was wary about getting BTAs because of your same reasoning, but mine haven’t moved but 2-3” from where I plopped them in. They haven’t hurt anything for me

I had a clown that hosted in a long tentacled leather for years. I can cut you a piece of it if you'd like to give that a try. Of course it would take a while for it to grow large enough but it's worth a though. I got rid of that clown because she was a hold terror and now I have an o. clown that hosts in a patch of mushrooms. During the day it looks great but I feel bad for the little guy when the lights go out and the mushrooms all shrink down. Then it looks a little silly.

The one I had years ago never really moved around on me. I certainly plan to get another one sooner than later.

I had a clown that hosted in a long tentacled leather for years. I can cut you a piece of it if you'd like to give that a try. Of course it would take a while for it to grow large enough but it's worth a though. I got rid of that clown because she was a hold terror and now I have an o. clown that hosts in a patch of mushrooms. During the day it looks great but I feel bad for the little guy when the lights go out and the mushrooms all shrink down. Then it looks a little silly.
I have a long tentacle leather, I believe it was sold to me as a Rasta, is that the one you're talking about? Like this? http://www.reefjunkies.org/Data/CoralLibrary/PictureThumb/images545.jpg

They're not interested, but I appreciate the offer.

Last edited:
You put the nem in the pot, or just drop it in the tank and the clowns move into it? I think my trigger would probably move into it.
I’m pretty sure you just place it in there and the clowns will discover it 👍 maybe put it near where they hang out already

Back