My design for my home made sump/refug

hhv00586

Market
Reaction score
So, as part of my DIY efforts to build my 150g I am also building my sump

Attached is my design. I have an existing wet/dry I plan to incorporate into this - mainly because I have it so why not. The rest is from 1/4" acrylic sheets I have lying around

Before I go and stick this all together - any thoughts on the design, things I missed, or changes I should make?

My opinion. If you have a chance to switch the skimmer to the first chamber I'll do it.
1: The bioballs, rock or what ever media you want to install on the first chamber will receive all detritus from the tank making them prone to more frequently cleanup or to replace. I won't suggest bioballs over live rock.
2: The skimmer once in a while could send microbubbles to the display and there's not another chamber or media to degas that situation.
3: If the first tank, where you planning to install the media now, has an stable level will be better for your skimmer, if you have it designed the way that level could be the same at power outage that will be even better! You'll have no worries of the skimmer overflowing when the power resumes and thus avoid to put the nasties back in the tank from the collection cup.

I'm asking b/c I don't know that much about proper flow rates for a 90 gallon FOWLR tank. Is it ok to connect the return pump to the UV and then goes into the tank? Will the flow be to slow especially if you are pumping 85-90 gallons per hour to kill ich and everything else?

lol it felt like months. I was out of town for both events so for me it was two months :p

HiImSean;1044593 wrote: lol it felt like months. I was out of town for both events so for me it was two months :p

Think you posted to the wrong thread boss. LOL

85-90 is not even close to what you want for the tank... 900+ is more of what you need... Turn it 10 or more times per hour... Yes slow through the UV but not through the tank...

Agree, 900+gph for the tank, separated small pump for the uv if you want to avoid manifold or want a constant gph through the uv, check for manufacturer specs on the uv whether you aim to kill parasites or treat green water. I have a Tom flow meter to check gph trough my uv (in some future) but I've seen more sophisticated acurate water meters that it can be use for the same porpoise

You don't need that much turnover. Your display tank flow will probably be from a powerhead or two giving 1000+ GPH. Turnover through the sump only needs to cycle a few times an hour, but you probably want more than 80-90 GPH. Use a T to split a 1/2" hose with a ball valve off your main return to run your UV. Put a couple T fittings in a row to make a manifold. You'll probably find a use for them. Remember to account for 6 feet or so of pressure head and loss when you size your return pump. Look at the curves the manufacturer puts out.

Back