My dilemma!

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
In the last few months I've sold most of my LPS and softies and accumulated a dozen+ nice SPS with plans of going SPS dominate. I could never give up all LPS as I love seeing movement, feeding and have a weakness for Sun Coral.

My Sun Coral has spawned several times as I've noticed little orange balls near and around the colony. Now I've got babies thriving all over in my tank which means I can't exactly "spot feed".

I guess it's a no brainer that I can't successfully keep 3/4 SPS and feed heavily 3 nights a week but I'm putting this question out there anyway! Has anyone been successful doing this?

My tank has "heavy duty filtration" in place with an average bio load currently (until my fish are full grown).

Thanks

I tried feeding sun coral in a mixed reef but the filtration couldn't keep up with the nitrates to keep sps well but thats not to say you can't do it , maybe carbon dosing or a closed loop bio pellet reactor would keep it in line.

Tbub1221;1026971 wrote: I tried feeding sun coral in a mixed reef but the filtration couldn't keep up with the nitrates to keep sps well but thats not to say you can't do it , maybe carbon dosing or a closed loop bio pellet reactor would keep it in line.

Your right, will probably need somthing,
Thanks

I suppose the other option is to only spot feed where you want it to grow? This prevents the nitrate issue for your SPS and should localize the sun coral.

That's a hard one! It would be hard for me to decide who lives and who I starve :(

I'm going to continue feeding and trying to keep the system as clean as possible. If my SPS start going downhill, I'll give them up. I'm upset with myself for buying so many to begging with, what was I thinking.!?
Seems I'm habitual at changing my mind, haha

With full blown reefs, I do storm feedings where the water column is blitzed with foods. Everything gets to eat, not matter where it is!

Your filtration/husbandry does need to be up to par to do this, though.

I'll happily adopt a few out of the kindness of my heart :D

Aeriously, VERY cool you had a successful coral spawning in your tank, I don't believe I've seen that before!

Shrimpy Brains;1027161 wrote: Maybe time for a second tank! Then you don't have to choose!

This :) When you want something that isn't compatible with your current setup, start a new one :)

Sorry for the delay!

Sean, not a chance! This one tank is on the verge or a purge :) to time consuming...
I'd rather be out riding with the wind hitting my face then making water... I'm OCD about a clean tank!

Skriz, I do feed my entire tank to often! Which yes, demands top notch husbandry.... I'm on it and over it, lol

I've decided to sell off some SPS vs going 80% SPS....
Just makes sense to make my life easier... Plus lovin the flow of LPS is a issue...

Take the plunge, you will love the next tank, it will solve a lot of problems and a softies tank doesn't require the filtration that an acro tank does.:)

Back