My DIY cut-off switch in Skimmer Waste Collector

porpoiseaquatics

Market
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I purchased a Waste Collector for my skimmer that can collect about 1/2 gallon of skimmate. Even with an oversized cup on my skimmer, I have to empty it every 3 days and that's provided something weird doesn't happen and the cup fills up sooner. The Waste Collector didn't have an auto-shut off ability so basically it's just a catch basin. After seeing another post with an alteration to the skimmer cup and getting up one morning to a full waste collection container, I decided to give this a go. Here's a few pictures to show how it was done.

1. Drilled a 17/64" hole in the container lid. Make sure that it clears the inside of the container before you drill or you'll have a hole you don't want nor need.

2. I tapped the drilled hole with a 5/16" x 24 tap. Happens to be the same threads as my float.

3. "Screwed" on the float which has a rubber gasket on the stem. I then put the nut on the outside just to make sure it stays and doesn't strip out for some reason.

4. I attached a Reefkeeper switch wire to the leads on the float. This gives me a fairly long lead and should read my Switch 1 unit mounted in the stand.

5. Re-assembled everything to make sure it fits.

6. Have not inserted in the system and tested yet but I have no reason to believe it won't work. That will come probably this weekend if I get the time.

Looks good , I have the same type of switch for my ato and it mounts opposite of yours , as in how yours is now it is off .
I'm not saying you did wrong , just thought I would mention it in the case you run in to a snag.

You are incorrect. The switch can be set to normally closed ("off" in the down position) or normally open ("on" in the down position). This is done by simply reversing the float. In my case, it doesn't matter because I can program the Reefkeeper Elite to recognize it either way and operate in either mode.

As an additional note....if yours mounts opposite of mine, you may want to look at it again. Every single ATO that I've ever owned has the switch (float) mounted in this very same direction. Otherwise the float would be point upward and the wires would always be in the water which is a no-no.

Nice Jeff. Very similar to the reef octopus waste container. But I always been skeptical about filling the container from a skimmer just overflowing and not skimming properly, if it happens to happen.
But overall I really like your design

porpoiseaquatics;897257 wrote: You are incorrect. The switch can be set to normally closed ("off" in the down position) or normally open ("on" in the down position). This is done by simply reversing the float. In my case, it doesn't matter because I can program the Reefkeeper Elite to recognize it either way and operate in either mode.

As an additional note....if yours mounts opposite of mine, you may want to look at it again. Every single ATO that I've ever owned has the switch (float) mounted in this very same direction. Otherwise the float would be point upward and the wires would always be in the water which is a no-no.

Maybe mine got switched around then , Thankyou for the info

If I remember correctly, float switches fail off (if the wire breaks). But they could fail on if they physically get stuck (snail, deposits, etc.). Depending on which is the most catastrophic failure (on or off), you choose how to set it up and program your controller appropriately.

Tbub1221;897348 wrote: Maybe mine got switched around then , Thankyou for the info

Maybe post up a picture of your ATO so we can see.

Edit:
djatl;897351 wrote: If I remember correctly, float switches fail off (if the wire breaks). But they could fail on if they physically get stuck (snail, deposits, etc.). Depending on which is the most catastrophic failure (on or off), you choose how to set it up and program your controller appropriately.

Correct on the first part. They do fail as "off" if a wire breaks because the circuit is not completed. Depending on location, they could fail in "off" or "on" depending on how it was installed and what critters can get to it (snails are very hazardous to a float switch hence why many now have a means to prevent their access). Correct also on how you want to set up the controller or the alarm to it.

I just took it apart and flipped the float , works like a charm I just had to adjust the hanging clip . Thanks again , this info it no doubt has prevented premature wear on my float .

Edit: I just took it apart and flipped the float , works like a charm I just had to adjust the hanging clip . Thanks again , this info it no doubt has prevented premature wear on my float .

Tbub1221;897386 wrote: I just took it apart and flipped the float , works like a charm I just had to adjust the hanging clip . Thanks again , this info it no doubt has prevented premature wear on my float .

Good deal!

Back