My DIY LED build in progress! (pics)

rskillz

Market
Reaction score
First off, I have to give a lot of credit to Bill at Reefledlights.com. That guy is ridiculously nice and always willing to answer his phone and answer stupid questions. I initially wasn't sure who I would do business with to grab my LEDs, but after talking with him on the phone I decided to buy from him.

Also, tons of props to my buddy James, a local reefer in Augusta who has helped with every step so far!:yay:

I know a lot of people are on the verge of moving to LEDs, and in my humble opinion, I think they are the future of the hobby. Once the price comes down for quality pre-made units like the AI-- MHs, T5s and so forth will be the minority.

Honestly, if you enjoy putting hours and hours into your tank and don't mind a little frustration, this isn't THAT bad. If you have no patience and no humility, I'd save up for a AI unit.

For my 180 I decided to go with 3 18x8 inch heatsinks, each with 60 3watt Crees. On each sink, there are 36 Royal Blue Xp-e, 12 white Xp-e, and 12 white Xp-g which are solely for "high noon" effect. I love a lot of blue. The drivers are meanwell 60-48Dimmables, which 5 drivers per heatsink. I went with 4 fans per unit as well. Bill helped me decide on all of this.

First off, I decided to do something a little bit new; I used thermal paste under each LED and a dab of GE Silicone 2 to hold the LEDs on. I found that adhesive was a pain to ever remove and drilling for screws was my personal nightmare. By all research I've done, this is totally safe and I can yank on each LED pretty hard and they ain't budging. The worst part of the whole build was soldering, it is tedious, stinky, and repetitive. I made the outside two rows Blues, with whites in the center and another row of blues breaking them up (hence the weird wiring)

IMG_2312.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_2306.jpg
alt="" />

I decided I liked the "industrial" look of the units, so I opted to not make an enclosure at all, but instead mount all hardware ton the heatsink. To do this, I used aluminum strips which I drilled and screwed down into the sink first, then attached the five drivers and four fans onto. It is quite sturdy and ain't budging. I'm using an acrylic cover 1 inch off the surface to protect the LEDS but I didn't get a picture of it attached. Very minimalistic

IMG_2313.jpg
alt="" />

Next, I used L brackets which I drilled into the heatsink in each corner for hanging mounts. I then attached a latch thingy to each one and strong chain. I will link all four corners up and then hang it inside my canopy tomorrow.

IMG_2315.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_2316.jpg
alt="" />

Finally, I hooked one unit up to my Neptune Apex and got it working, success!

IMG_2317.jpg
alt="" />

It was so bright that its hard to look at!

In short, if I can do this, anyone can. I'm an utter noob at all things electrical. I'll add more pictures tomorrow.

I likey!!!, after you shut them off I bet you saw ghost figures of the leds for like 15 mins. Crazy how bright these things are

Smallblock;641655 wrote: I likey!!!, after you shut them off I bet you saw ghost figures of the leds for like 15 mins. Crazy how bright these things are

Yea, it honestly shocked me when they came on. Definently going to have to get the tank acclimated to em.

So cool! Im going to do leds over my next tank. Do you think DIY is better than getting a fixture/cheaper?

peachyreef;641731 wrote: So cool! Im going to do leds over my next tank. Do you think DIY is better than getting a fixture/cheaper?

Yes! Definitely DIY!

chull13;641874 wrote: Are you going to use optics?

Not sure yet. The 80degrees are still hard to find for the XP-E and I really don't want to focus the light too much. I'm gonna go without them for now and see how it works.

Rskillz;641653 wrote: First off, I have to give a lot of credit to Bill at Reefledlights.com. That guy is ridiculously nice and always willing to answer his phone and answer stupid questions. I initially wasn't sure who I would do business with to grab my LEDs, but after talking with him on the phone I decided to buy from him.

Also, tons of props to my buddy James, a local reefer in Augusta who has helped with every step so far!:yay:

I know a lot of people are on the verge of moving to LEDs, and in my humble opinion, I think they are the future of the hobby. Once the price comes down for quality pre-made units like the AI-- MHs, T5s and so forth will be the minority.
Honestly, if you enjoy putting hours and hours into your tank and don't mind a little frustration, this isn't THAT bad. If you have no patience and no humility, I'd save up for a AI unit.

For my 180 I decided to go with 3 18x8 inch heatsinks, each with 60 3watt Crees. On each sink, there are 36 Royal Blue Xp-e, 12 white Xp-e, and 12 white Xp-g which are solely for "high noon" effect. I love a lot of blue. The drivers are meanwell 60-48Dimmables, which 5 drivers per heatsink. I went with 4 fans per unit as well. Bill helped me decide on all of this.

First off, I decided to do something a little bit new; I used thermal paste under each LED and a dab of GE Silicone 2 to hold the LEDs on. I found that adhesive was a pain to ever remove and drilling for screws was my personal nightmare. By all research I've done, this is totally safe and I can yank on each LED pretty hard and they ain't budging. The worst part of the whole build was soldering, it is tedious, stinky, and repetitive. I made the outside two rows Blues, with whites in the center and another row of blues breaking them up (hence the weird wiring)

IMG_2312.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_2306.jpg
alt="" />

I decided I liked the "industrial" look of the units, so I opted to not make an enclosure at all, but instead mount all hardware ton the heatsink. To do this, I used aluminum strips which I drilled and screwed down into the sink first, then attached the five drivers and four fans onto. It is quite sturdy and ain't budging. I'm using an acrylic cover 1 inch off the surface to protect the LEDS but I didn't get a picture of it attached. Very minimalistic

IMG_2313.jpg
alt="" />

Next, I used L brackets which I drilled into the heatsink in each corner for hanging mounts. I then attached a latch thingy to each one and strong chain. I will link all four corners up and then hang it inside my canopy tomorrow.

IMG_2315.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_2316.jpg
alt="" />

Finally, I hooked one unit up to my Neptune Apex and got it working, success!

IMG_2317.jpg
alt="" />

It was so bright that its hard to look at!

In short, if I can do this, anyone can. I'm an utter noob at all things electrical. I'll add more pictures tomorrow.

Hey man great thread. Do u mind me asking total cost build? I have a 180 as well that I need to get rid of my three 400 watt halides and 800 watts of vho actinic. If you don't mind I would like to talk with about it

My God. Finally got these up and running and I couldn't be more thrilled. Insane amounts of color and an extremely intense shimmer effect. Very, very happy thus far. I'll get more pics tomorrow, pretty pooped today.

As for total build cost, about 2k. If I would have went with AI, I would have needed 6 units + controller + brackets, etc. Which would have come out to around 4k, and 6 units would still have only been 144 3watt crees.

Pretty happy.

Well, look at it like this...between bulbs and power, this thing will pay itself off in about 15 months by my estimations =)

(This important factor is not only factual, but helped convince the wife to let me spend 2k on a light, haha)

Rskillz;642076 wrote: Well, look at it like this...between bulbs and power, this thing will pay itself off in about 15 months by my estimations =)

(This important factor is not only factual, but helped convince the wife to let me spend 2k on a light, haha)

Your wife is the BEST:thumbs:

With that many lights, I don't think you'd necessarily need optics (assuming the fixture is ~12" or less from the water surface and the tank isn't super deep).

Shoot some video of the tank! Show me the Shimmer! LOL

Back