My DIY overflow box

ckwatson

Market
Reaction score
well this is my first time trying this so we will see how it goes. It was made out of 1/4" acrylic. I still need to paint it black.

The pieces after cutting them, I cut them with a circular saw with a fine toothed blade.

IMG_2781Small.jpg
alt="" />

And now after the DAP aquarium silicone

IMG_2782Small.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_2783Small.jpg
alt="" />

So there it is, it needs a little clean up done I made a bet of a mess with the silicone.

that looks great .......my question ould be though how do you know how many GPH it will handle?

That looks very nice!

One thing though... why use silicone over weld-on?

could not find weld-on at any store around me, and i had just as many people telling me to use weld-on as i did telling me to use silicone. If it falls apart when i do my water test on the system I will find somewhere to get or order weld-on.

I got my design for this web site http://www.barraquatic.com/overflows.php">http://www.barraquatic.com/overflows.php</a> so i am taking a chance but i made it out of extra acrylic i had from cutting the baffles for my sump. So it is a trial and error thing. I am hoping i will get enough. It is going in a 45 gallon tank and it is 8"x4"x7" with a 1" drain line

here it is in the tank

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/photosbykyle/saltwater%20tank/IMG_2791Small.jpg alt="" />

I've got plenty of weld-on you can use if you choose. I live pretty close to the wierdo that drilled that tank for you. I've got some acrylic that I would love for you to cut :). I can never get mine to look that nice.

Yeah chris drilling the hole was a big help and he did a good job. I can cut your acrylic for you but you may want to see my work up close the teeth are not the best i have seen, but it was my first one so an more cuts i make should only get better

I think your box looks nice but let me ask you why use a box if you have a hole?

I want my box out of my tank really bad. Chris wants to drill the tank in place.

Chris - we need to drill this tank.

Loren - UH

Chris - Naw it will be simple we just get something to catch the water.

Loren - UH these hardwoods are new.

Chris - No sweat man we just get something to catch the water.

Loren UH

i put the box on to keep live stock out of it so it wont clog and flood my house

Loren he also has a box to skim the surface, but kyle you could put a strainer on your pvc to keep critters and fish out. Dont worry about it flooding your house because you can regulate the water height by your external durso.

either way I hope you are panning on an external durso standpipe. You will need one!

here is the plumbing for the drain. I has not been glued yet so let me know what yall think. It comes out of the tank with a 90 and goes into a Y one side going down to the sump and the other up for a vent.

IMG_2800Small.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_2799Small.jpg
alt="" />

you have the idea, That looks like a monster durso ! Do this cut your pvc that sticks up, cut it about 1" above the main drain hole and ball valve on the end and use your ball valve to adjust water height.

see that barcode on your pvc?? In the last pic. Cut the pipe just below there and slap a balve on there. If you dont like the look of a big ball valve then put a cap on top of right where you cut it. Drill a small hole in the center of the cap. Keep drilling slightly bigger until your water level is at deisred height. But a ball valve is easily adjustable and will keep you from drilling.

Wow that looks great! Do you know if an "All Glass" 10$ 10 gallon tank can be drilled? Or is it tempered?

I think a 10g can be drilled. Larger tanks may have a tempered bottom, though.

yes you can drill the back and sides but i am not sure about the bottom

Back