My Filthy Tank Looks Great

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
I usually do a WC every 10 days. We came home from vacation tonight, 12 days since the last water change and noticed a tremendous amount of coral growth, it is actually very remarkable. I'm too tired to check parameters tonight but it looks like less may be more for my reef.

Same here, since December I've done (1) 5 gallon wc on my 60 gallon, coral growth is great and everything is happy.

I finally checked the parameters, Phosphate was .09 and Calcium was really low at 320. Interesting that the tank looks so happy, I still have not done a water change because I ran out of salt so I am now 14 days since last WC and salt won't get here until Wednesday.

14 days is still early for a water change Imo. I normally do once a month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rk4435;1037165 wrote: I finally checked the parameters, Phosphate was .09 and Calcium was really low at 320. Interesting that the tank looks so happy, I still have not done a water change because I ran out of salt so I am now 14 days since last WC and salt won't get here until Wednesday.
What type of coral are you keeping? I'm not sure of my exact po4 levels due to the color readouts. But I do know that my phosphates stay below 5 ppm, and with daily dosing of a and b, all my corals are very happy.
SnowManSnow;1037171 wrote: 14 days is still early for a water change Imo. I normally do once a month
Some people do water changes twice weekly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After only 14 days I wouldn't be too concerned.

Not that I'm condoning it, but I haven't ever done a water change on my tank and have had tremendous coral growth...mind you it's almost all softies and LPS. I set it up in May 2013 and all I do is add RO top-off water. Truth be told, I haven't changed the RO membrane or micron filters in forever either, so it's probably the equivalent of tap water at this point. I just checked my SG and it's 1.020, so still technically a saltwater tank...lol

I'm definitely dropping back my WC schedule. My GFO is obviously exhausted otherwise the tank is great aside from the need to step up my Calc dose with less water changes.

I have a very diverse mixed reef LSU, what seems to grow best is Gonipora, Mushrooms and Candy Cane. I've lost most of my brain corals in the last year but never really figured out why. They started degrading when I went feom T5 to led lights.

I recently went from 15% weekly water changes to 20% bi-weekly wc's and have noticed an improvement in polyp extension and coral growth.

I've always done a 20 gallon W/C every other weekend on my 75. I've been incapable of doing a water change for over 5 weeks (surgery) and my tanks very happy :)

Favia is so happy it's dropping babies, Fathead Dendro popped out 5 babies, SPS have white tips & rims...

Haven't tested either, why bother if I can't do anything about it lol.

http://reefbuilders.com/2015/06/06/water-change-conundrum/">http://reefbuilders.com/2015/06/06/water-change-conundrum/</a>

I think part of the reason I've had success Is due to my wetter skim and use of the all in one biopellets. I can tell i need to add more pellets because of the increased amount of algae on the glass.

Back