My first saltwater tank for corals/research for GSU

Ange_de_l'ocean

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I bought my first saltwater aquarium. It is 34 gallons, rectangular and so far just has 3 live rocks and somehow a baby Seastar of some kind ended up in it from the store lol.
I bought this aquarium because I want to house corals in it. I was recommended to this forum by the Ga aquarium because I volunteer there!
I am apart of undergraduate research lab at Ga State Univ that is focused on a synthetic biology approach to help resist coral bleaching. So, my lab and myself are looking for fast-growing, stony coral species to observe and possibly incorporate into our lab next semester in the Fall. Here is the link to our research in case you are interested: https://2019.igem.org/Team:Georgia_State
Specifically, I was suggested Acropora yongei (Green Slimer Acro), Pocillopora damicornis (cauliflower coral), and Acropora nana/valida (Tri Color Acro).
If anyone has any suggestions, advice, or willing to give away some frags of these, please reply :). Thank you!

Tell us more about the set up itself and how are you measuring your parameters to determine if it is ready for acropora? What testing supplies and how you plan on maintaining parameters to house corals in it?

I don't mind donating my acros to worthy causes like these, however I would want to make sure its going into a tank that has a chance to survive. A fresh tank like this could take several months to mature to accommodate acros.

Awesome! Happy that your group is working on this.

My name is Andrew and Im doing my PhD at GTech right now. i’d be happy to connect you with some undergraduate groups here that are doing different coral research, if you ever want. Also, you may want to look into Dr. Luisa Marcelino at Northwestern University, as she is developing a BRI (Bleaching Response Index) for corals. Additionally, there are some other researchers here at GT and internationally that I have had conversations with on the topic of your research. You definitely have some major hurdles ahead, but I’ll be here to support you and your team.

And I also have some corals that I’d be happy to donate! Most Acropora species are not gonna be very happy in a 34 gallon, and will do much better in a larger tank... also, they are not usually considered fast growing compared to other groups of corals.

for fast growing corals, the Pocilopora you mentioned is a good one. I wouldn’t recommend them for a reef tank... but for research, they will suit your needs. Similarly, seriatopora will do well for you. Otherwise, any of hundreds of species of Montipora are nearly all very fast growing, very resilient, and with a variety of (structures and) colors. This would suggest to me they have a large variety of symb algae species.

Oh, and Cyphastrea, Heliopolia, and some select species of Leptoseris, are all considered fast growing stony species.

All in all, we have a bunch to help out!

also, that small sea star is likely an Asterina Star. These are sometimes considered pests (for corals), but that subject is controversial for these species. However, if it is a micro brittle star, those are universally considered beneficial!

Tell us more about the set up itself and how are you measuring your parameters to determine if it is ready for acropora? What testing supplies and how you plan on maintaining parameters to house corals in it?

I don't mind donating my acros to worthy causes like these, however I would want to make sure its going into a tank that has a chance to survive. A fresh tank like this could take several months to mature to accommodate acros.

Civics 14: I have 3 live rocks in it so far. I have proper RO water set up and a filter. I have a salinity meter keeping it at 1.023-1.026. The heater is set for 76-78 degrees. I have a light that I need advice on- it has a 24/7 setting that mimics sunlight, but I am not sure if I should keep it on that setting. Im sad to hear from ActiveAngel's comment that 34 gallons is not big enough because I thought it would be. I will also be getting a herbivore like a cleaning shrimp or crab to control the algae growth with the coral. Maybe a fish. Please let me know your thoughts on these parameters. Thank you!

Oh, and Cyphastrea, Heliopolia, and some select species of Leptoseris, are all considered fast growing stony species.

All in all, we have a bunch to help out!

also, that small sea star is likely an Asterina Star. These are sometimes considered pests (for corals), but that subject is controversial for these species. However, if it is a micro brittle star, those are universally considered beneficial!

Hi Andrew! WOW! I would love to connect with you and the undergrad groups to check out their process in their research. We are still fairly new- a year and a half in now. I am a coral enthusiast and wanted to head the coral part of our research and yes, hurdles are indefinitely ahead of us. Any help from you would be greatly appreciated. Please connect with me via phone or email-which ever you prefer.
Im sad to hear 34 gallons is small because I thought that would be big enough for a few corals. I don't mind transferring to a bigger tank at this point though because all I put in it so far are sand and live rock. Your species recommendations are greatly helpful. I will research those further. With the big picture in mind, I do want one that is abundant in the wild and has an impact on our environment, and the point about having large variety of symb algae species is a good factor for our research.
I looked it up and it is a Asterina Star. Should I keep it?
The bleaching response index sounds fascinating and I will definitely look into that. Thanks so much!

What type of salinity meter are you using? The two main categories are hydrometers and refractometer a. You will want one of the latter; which are usually only $15-25. Hydrometers have significant room for errors in both directions; and once again, Acropora are more sensitive to their environment than many other stony corals.

Also, I’m not saying that Acropora won’t survive in a 34g. Just that they won’t thrive nearly as well in a larger tank, and it will significantly affect your expected growth rates.

If we were to optimize your tank size based on limitations, there are two common constraints: money and space. For the sake of brevity, let’s look at space. Many people decide on tanks based on gallon size, which isn’t exactly in line with their interests. A better question is “how much floor space do you have?” By example; maybe a person would say that the biggest they could do is 55 gallons. However, really, they have a 4 foot section of wall that is the limit. This same 4’ section could easily fit a 120g standard (non-custom) tank.

Perhaps your 34g will work fine for you! But if you do decide to get a larger tank, I hope this line of logic can help you to make the best decision for your goals!

It is a Refractometer. Wow, I spent $80 on this one -.-. I see.. well I have enough space for a 55 gallon. And I only want one so maybe upgrading is worth it if I can find one on here or maybe trade with someone. My goal is to have maybe 2 species of corals in it so I think a bigger one is best.
FYI: Filter is Aqueon quiet flow 75. Light is Marine plus SE.

Attachments

• IMG_3255.jpg
    IMG_3255.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
What type of salinity meter are you using? The two main categories are hydrometers and refractometer a. You will want one of the latter; which are usually only $15-25. Hydrometers have significant room for errors in both directions; and once again, Acropora are more sensitive to their environment than many other stony corals.

Also, I’m not saying that Acropora won’t survive in a 34g. Just that they won’t thrive nearly as well in a larger tank, and it will significantly affect your expected growth rates.

If we were to optimize your tank size based on limitations, there are two common constraints: money and space. For the sake of brevity, let’s look at space. Many people decide on tanks based on gallon size, which isn’t exactly in line with their interests. A better question is “how much floor space do you have?” By example; maybe a person would say that the biggest they could do is 55 gallons. However, really, they have a 4 foot section of wall that is the limit. This same 4’ section could easily fit a 120g standard (non-custom) tank.

Perhaps your 34g will work fine for you! But if you do decide to get a larger tank, I hope this line of logic can help you to make the best decision for your goals!
My email is t.sperr22@gmail.com. Please let me know when is a good time to discuss the other undergrad research!

Hi! My tank is cycled and all ready. I have bought a cleaning crew (3 blue leg hermits and one turbo snail) and dosing kits and an air pump. Do you still have acres to donate?

Hi! My tank is cycled and all ready. I have bought a cleaning crew (3 blue leg hermits and one turbo snail) and dosing kits and an air pump. Do you still have acres to donate?

Yes I do. I have 5 different acros I can provide. Text me at XXX-XXX-XXXX (Victor) to arrange pickup. I'm near Stone Mountain Park.

Last edited:
Back