My first saltwater tank

ichthyoid

Trustee
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
1973-
That’s my O’Dell (Bernie Marcus was CEO, I believe) 55 gal saltwater tank. With a Supreme AquaMaster hang on power filter with filter floss & GAC, Sanders protein skimmer, Ebo Jager heater and undergravel filter. Both Sanders & Ebo Jager (now Eheim) were German companies, as the Germans dominated both the hobby & technology at the time.

I spent most of my time & an exhorbitant amount of my part time pay on it. Some things never change ;)

Ok, I showed mine, let’s see yours ;)

C2919765-E0E9-4D56-B7E4-1C0F88F81FA5.jpeg

34D4B3AE-E1F9-40A2-9390-7BECA8FE0693.jpeg

EC63E1A9-E7BD-4768-8975-F37CFF0146FC.jpeg
This was my first saltwater tank 2016, 14gal bio cube and I added sump to it with chiller. Needless to say it ended up being a disaster. Had to be take it down after a month :)

I wish i had pictures of my first reef tank. 1991 I had a 65 gallon tank with a wet/dry filter that had a spinning spray bar. Metal halides in a canopy I had to have my father help me wire in cooling fans. A skimmer using a wooden air stone I got from a customer at the pet store i worked at. It was a frankenstein of a setup but I loved it. Did I mention it had a spinning spray bar? Coolest thing except having to take it apart every 2-3 days for cleaning.

I wish i had pictures of my first reef tank. 1991 I had a 65 gallon tank with a wet/dry filter that had a spinning spray bar. Metal halides in a canopy I had to have my father help me wire in cooling fans. A skimmer using a wooden air stone I got from a customer at the pet store i worked at. It was a frankenstein of a setup but I loved it. Did I mention it had a spinning spray bar? Coolest thing except having to take it apart every 2-3 days for cleaning.

I still have my original spinning spray bar trickle filter. It’s been repurposed, a couple of times ;)

Back