My frag room

taftonomos

Market
Reaction score
I did some small (20-40g) frag growing when I lived in FL. Now that I have a full open basement, and a spare room, I'm going to do the same thing but on a larger scale (300g +?).

I had good success growing LPS and softies with MH lighting. 6500 for growth, then a month or 3 with 10k-14k to color them up. Last time I used one tank, this time I have space for many more. My plan is to have 2 tanks w/6500k, and 2 tanks w/10-14k. I'm also planning on having a anemone growout tank as well, I've had good luck with keeping RBTA, and the ones I have seem to split quite often. Origionally I was going to have a complete seperate system for SPS, but based upon my goals (quick growout), and my budget, setting up another system will take up half of the softy system, and cost me a bunch more (skimmer, sump, pump, etc.)

Here is a quicky I did of the room. Tanks are 48x24x8" tall. I havn't sketched up the BTA tank in this picture either. I was going to get my tanks from GC, although I'm up for building them myself, or other suggestions. Rubbermaid tubs (50g) are another idea. The BTA tank will go next to the door, the sump (not draw either) will go on the opposite side of the room. Ventilation has been taken care of w/12" inwall exhaust fan connected to a dehumidistat. Window AC will handle the AC duties, baseboard heater in the winter. I also sprayed a mold inhibitor before I drywalled, we used greenboard, and then a heavy duty paint made for rooms with hottubs/spas. Floor is tile, siliconed to the baseboard to seal it up. I've taken all the precautions I can think of as far as mold goes.

I ran 4 circuits to the room. One for the MH's, one for the overhead lights and the fan, one for the sump, and one for the AC. All protected on seperate GFI's.

Lighting is via 250watt MH

I havn't decided on a pump yet, perhaps something like a hammerhead, dolphin, etc? Suggestions?

What do you think?
FragRoomtanks.jpg
alt="" />

Here it is with 50g rubbermaid tubs instead of GC tanks. The GC tanks are going to cost $480 + pickup fee (total with sump $550), the rubbermaids are going to run $315 including the sump. Since most if not all of these corals will photo from the top well, you can guess that the rubbermaid tubs are getting a close consideration.

FragRoomtubs.jpg
alt="" />

My suggestion is to add a drain in the floor if you can. Not sure if this is part of the basement or an upstairs room. I would also switch to T5s to cut the heat in the room during the summer.

I would clear some room for some shelves as well. Always good to have storage in a room like this.

This room is also screaming for a closed circuit camera system. Nothing fancy, just something that would allow you to keep an eye on the tanks from a single spot.

At any rate, very cool and wish I had the room for this.

See the thread : http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11050">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11050</a>

Yes, I'm setting this up to "subsidize" my interest in the hobby. Trading, selling (to pay for the electricity), but mainly trading :) I love SPS, but growing it requires more time, energy and patience than I have. My plans are for zoo's, shrooms and yumas. Maybe some cool leathers as well. To really do SPS right, I feel you need a separate system. I did purchase 2 separate tanks for that reason, but for now, I cannot afford to purchase another pump, heater, plumbing, controller, etc.. Once I'm able to financially, I may try one side as SPS and another side as softies. Completely separate systems would be neat.

Back