My glass cracked on my tank!

charlieborg

Market
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I have a question. How long can I keep my corals and fish in a cooler while I fix my tank?
I have everything in the biggest Orca cooler. I also got a heater, airstone, and power head for circulation in it. I have a t5 blue light over it for the corals. I may try to put the protein skimmer in it if need be too.

So what're your thoughts? It's been in the cooler since Friday. Still waiting on the silicone to cure and do a test on it.

Thanks, Chuck.

If the skimmer doesnt work mix up some fresh water and do small daily water changes.

You need a 20g? I've got a 20g and a 40g that you can use. Sounds like you're good with the cooler but let me know if I can help any way.

It's a new set up. all frags and a few fish. 150 tall tank.
Well, apparently the stand I had it on was not level. So the bottom cracked all the way across the bottom middle of the tank. I cleaned the bottom silicone off and applied a generous amount of silicone on the crack and all over the bottom. I then put a piece of acrylic to fit the whole bottom of the tank on the inside and put it on the fresh silicone. Then I silicone all the edges. I'm hoping this will work!

You need a 20g? I've got a 20g and a 40g that you can use. Sounds like you're good with the cooler but let me know if I can help any way.
Thanks. I have a large acrylic tank if this doesn't work. I was trying to get away from the acrylic because of it being harder to clean the glass.

Is your tank acrylic or glass? Either way mixing acrylic and silicone is a bad move, silicone and acrylic will not Bond. Silicone adhesive will bond but I wouldn’t trust it. The repair is going to fail sooner than later. Best is to replace the bottom glass (if it’s a glass tank) or just buy a new tank. If you have an acrylic tank, please reach out as I can lend some advice on how to repair properly.

If you have fish in a cooler with little or no rock as a bio-filter, ammonia is going to accumulate. No skimmer removes ammonia. You can buy a bottle of ammonia treatment, or better, do partial water changes every day or two until you find the fish a new tank and it’s cycled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back