my heater blew up

shawn_patterson

Market
Reaction score
so yesterday my heater blew up in my tank, all my corals closed up. my anemones look like crap, and all sps started to slime. its a 29 gallon tank, so yesterday i put brand new carbon in my tank, did a 15 gallon water change. do you guys think my tank will be good now?

my xenia, is still striveled up, and one of my btas still look like crap, but they look a lot better than they did yesterday. my xenia on the other hand looks like crap. do you guys have any advice on what i can do?

I think you're doing all you can do at this point. A 50% water change was probably a bit much. I would've done a smaller change and done one a day for several days. I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago in a 65 except mine was located in the sump. Cleaned out all the broken pieces (carefully and with the power unplugged), dumped the sump water, refilled and moved on without any issues.

jeff,

i did 5 gallons yesterday morning, and then ten last night. it was about time for a water change too. you think i should switch out the carbon today?

Good reason for a screen cover. I wouldn't worry about the carbon for a few more days. Just do another 5 gallon wc in the next day or so. Xenia like "dirty water" so it make take them a few days to cheer up.

ok thanks for the advice I've just never had that happen before so i pretty much freaked out with no clue what to do.

shawn_patterson;950945 wrote: it was a tetra one i bought a couple months ago from petco.

A couple months ago! I would be all over that company!

IMO Ehiem is a good heater.

Camellia;950946 wrote: A couple months ago! I would be all over that company!

IMO Ehiem is a good heater.

yeah im giving them a call monday when their customer service line is open.

How long was it broken in the tank? Running some cuprisorb wouldn't hurt either.

This is one of those situations that I would advocate for a really large water change.

shawn_patterson;950915 wrote: so yesterday my heater blew up in my tank, all my corals closed up. my anemones look like crap, and all sps started to slime. its a 29 gallon tank, so yesterday i put brand new carbon in my tank, did a 15 gallon water change. do you guys think my tank will be good now?

my xenia, is still striveled up, and one of my btas still look like crap, but they look a lot better than they did yesterday. my xenia on the other hand looks like crap. do you guys have any advice on what i can do?

similar to what has been already stated, I would do a couple of more water changes, 10 gallons per day every other day (match temp, salinty, and Alk or ph).

depending upon the type, and how much carbon, I would change it today as well in case it is saturated already with whatever went in water.

I would clean out any overflows with a wetvac, and add a polyfilter.

and buy an Eheim heater.

ringo it was probably in my tank for no more than five minutes. i turned off all my power to the tank as soon as i heard the "firecracker" go off in my tank. and got it out within 10 minutes.

i did a 50% wc yesterday. im going to do another 5 gallons tomorrow.

shawn_patterson;950965 wrote: I got a hydor heater in my tank now so hopefully that one will last.

terrible heater...I do believe Eheim was the reccomended one, you'll be asking for help in 3 months after that one fries your tank...

+1
Because heaters are prone to this type of problems, it's a small investment considering the risks.

i ordered an eheim. all my coral (except my xenia) looks like its starting to look better. iswitched out my matrix carbon again so hopefully everything will be done with. im just really happy my 10'' bta is starting to get happy again.

Back