My Introduction

clowningaround

Market
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently got back into saltwater after about some 15+yr departure. I've started with a 75gallon a couple of weeks ago and will be adding my first starter fish soon. I had joined the forums over at reefcentral and noticed a member referencing this club (I use the same username there by the way), local to me and here I am . I am excited to have some local resources, looking forward to bouncing thoughts back and forth with you all and hitting up a meet when my schedule allows .

As for my past exposure, a reasonable amount of freshwater growing up back in the day and about 5 years with a little 20gal & undergravel filter which tought me a lot of what not to do but I made it work. Fast forward, I always missed the beauty of those marine tanks and convinced the boss to let me get back into the hobby. I will be doing a FO, starting with a few damsels as a sanity check to ensure my cycle is complete and to monitor how my sump setup performs. I am still struggling with tuning the skimmer, that part is new to me. Perhaps that can be my first question in here, rather than creatnga separate thread.

I have the new eshopps x-120. It has a air adjustment, a gate valve for the output and of course the waterlevel it sits in as I understand as the three factors affecting my particular skimming with this unit. If I'm missing something please let me know. Adjusting the water level seems to big the biggest factor but after Ive gotten it to stop instantly overflowing Im not sure which to adjust next, in which order and by how much. I think the air affects bubble size by controlling the amount allowed into the pumps needle wheel which i think is more of thr final fine tune to control the waste being pushed up in the bubbles??? So that leaves the other two factors. The outlet gate valve im at a loss to seeing its impact. Ive tried fully open and fully closed seeing little difference. Obviously this affects rhe outflow from the skimmer but im not sure what i should be looking for here other than some(?)water discharging. So that leaves water level, initially i had it to deep about 10 inches, which i know is more than the manf recommends but I just didnt have a stand yet, which is also probably why instant spillover. I now have several eggcrate layers and I'm almost at the min water level recommended yet still overflowing albiet it takes several hours. I know there is also this breaking period but I've had thr skimmer itself up for about 2 weeks now. Suggestions and some insight on the workings of the components

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Welcome to our community. As you have already experienced our hobby has changed dramatically over the past five years. As far as your skimmer, the water level should be at the bottom of the cup.
Generally speaking you need waste in your system to have it bubble up and over the edge of the cup. Mine skimmer generally only bubbles over a few times a day when I feed the tanks.

Im in Johns Creek and since we are relatively close, your more than welcome to drop by sometime and see my system. :)

Bcavalli;1117809 wrote: Welcome to our community. As you have already experienced our hobby has changed dramatically over the past five years. As far as your skimmer, the water level should be at the bottom of the cup.
Generally speaking you need waste in your system to have it bubble up and over the edge of the cup. Mine skimmer generally only bubbles over a few times a day when I feed the tanks.

Im in Johns Creek and since we are relatively close, your more than welcome to drop by sometime and see my system. :)
Oh sweet, thanks for the offer. My schedule has been ridiculous as of recent, so if I cant seem to dial her in I may just take you up on the offer.

ClowningAround;1117811 wrote: Oh sweet, thanks for the offer. My schedule has been ridiculous as of recent, so if I cant seem to dial her in I may just take you up on the offer.

Yoir welcome to come by anytime. :)

Back