My latest LR system....

eandrews

Market
Reaction score
<p style="text-align:center;">This has been a fun project. I have 400lb of rock going in tomorrow and another 500lb in two weeks :confused2:. The lower tub is for the base rock and as it gets nice and seeded I will move it up top to cherry pick out of.

<p style="text-align:center;">Once the system has been up for a few weeks I will setup the skimmer and phos & cal reactors. The system has a 150g tub up top and 100g below to help move more water.

<p style="text-align:center;">Here's some of the plumbing steps and the final result with RO running thru it..

<p style="text-align:center;">I cut off the old plumbing and got a new bulkhead for the drain off the top system.

<p style="text-align:center;">
DSCF2608.jpg
alt="" />

<p style="text-align:center;">The return pump is a tetrapond 2250 - I put a ball valve on it in case I need to trim it back once the water level is higher..

DSCF2609.jpg
alt="" />

<p style="text-align:center;">I made the spray lines 1" up top and 2" down bottom

DSCF2607.jpg
alt="" />

DSCF2610.jpg
alt="" />

<p style="text-align:center;">with water flowing

DSCF2615.jpg
alt="" />

<p style="text-align:center;">and the new 250w MH hanging from the ceiling over both.

DSCF2613.jpg
alt="" />

DSCF2614.jpg
alt="" />

Are you setting up a large display? That's a lotta rock for an RSM and a 65 gallon!:D

Acroholic;591383 wrote: Are you setting up a large display? That's a lotta rock for an RSM and a 65 gallon!:D

I will be setting up a 300g pond with wrap around bench for the kids.

If there is no overflow box in the upper tank in case of a power failure all water from the top yub will end in the lower and subsequently on the floor...

<!-- gcu-updated ame -->http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/eamoto/Fish%20Tank/DSCF2615.jpg<!-- gcu-updated /ame -->

The bottom tub is going to be be a larger rubbermaid in a couple weeks but if you just get your rock in place fill up the bottom tub to max capacity and then kick your pump on all you have to do is mark your max water levels for both tubs while operating that way you can top off to those established levels... if you go over that level and loose power then yes you will have a mess.

Is there a risk of a prolonged power outage killing the beneficial bacteria if the water level in the top tank drops for a night (especially cold nights like lately, or hot nights in the summer, say after a storm)? I realize the idea is to cycle the rock, but just curious.

How do you intend to make the rock "live"? Adding pure ammonia or a fish or two in the lower container?

weaglereefer;591798 wrote: Is there a risk of a prolonged power outage killing the beneficial bacteria if the water level in the top tank drops for a night (especially cold nights like lately, or hot nights in the summer, say after a storm)? I realize the idea is to cycle the rock, but just curious.

How do you intend to make the rock "live"? Adding pure ammonia or a fish or two in the lower container?

I don't have much of a risk for prolonged power outage because the sysem will be on a back up that will support 7amp max at 2.5hrs.. As far as the temps I shopping around for a used 300-800w heaters to drop in the bottom sytem.

I will let the entire 400g system (just pulled in another 150g) do a natural cycle. If you cycle it with pure ammonia it definitely spikes harder however it will slowly go back to a normal bacteria level if you don't keep a bio load on it so there's really no need for that method here.. just a normal cycle over a few weeks and I will keep a 500g skimmer on it at that point.

Right now I'm going to convert the lower tank to a 150g and the 100g will be used for a 48hr fresh bath on any used live rock I bring in to rid it of critters and sponges..

Some updates and changes to the system.. I have the 2 bottom tubs plumbed together and put an overflow drain in the top afterall to help build up the water levels where I need. I have 350lb of good premium big fiji and flat fiji rock currently in the bottom and the top tubs. The smaller 100g tub will be used for small nano and pico rocks..

Lighting is a bit overkill for LR but its my 400w Mogul pendant and a 250w mounted to the joists.

<p style="text-align:center">
DSCF2621.jpg
alt="" />
DSCF2616.jpg
alt="" />

<p style="text-align:center">the 100g smaller rock..

DSCF2617.jpg
alt="" />

DSCF2622.jpg
alt="" />

<p style="text-align:center">1.5" overflow will allow me to put more rock in the top tub and eliminate any flood issues with power outages...

DSCF2619.jpg
alt="" />

LilRobb;592238 wrote: You wouldn't need any light, unless you wanna grow algae...

Mostly for me to see everything we are handling with room to move over the tubs..

Back