My nem sucks.

jade76

Market
Reaction score
Laugh at me as you may, but I have a problem I cant seem to figure out. My bubble nem will not stay still. I have attempted to put him in several different locations with thought to different light and flows and yes even a nice hole or crack for him to place his foot so as he feels protected. He continues to move himself into a crack with no light or flow and curls up, however all my parameters are fine. All my other corals are doing just fine. What gives? are they REALLY this PICKY?? He is certainly not dying as when I place him somewhere he half bloats up but stays slowly moving.

Anyone have a little guidence for a brother?:sad:

Someone who I dont think much of, but does have a loyal following, stated that if you feed the anemone when it is where you want it, it will "content" it with the spot. I dont buy it, but he swears it works.

I have actually heard this and have attempted to do so. Only problem is,...he's not interested in eating as in, he will not take food because he wants to move. So hense, a problematic flaw to this theory, practice.

jade76;227373 wrote: I have actually heard this and have attempted to do so. Only problem is,...he's not interested in eating as in, he will not take food because he wants to move. So hense, a problematic flaw to this theory, practice.

The weiner I heard this from said he "shoved" a piece of krill into the mouth of the BTA, and it worked. I wanted to kick him in the gall baldder when I heard that, but it is what it is. Im gonna send you a PM.

jmaneyapanda;227370 wrote: Someone who I dont think much of, but does have a loyal following, stated that if you feed the anemone when it is where you want it, it will "content" it with the spot. I dont buy it, but he swears it works.

I tried it..It doesn't work. The anemone will take a whole shrimp but by next day it would roam to another location. First day it went to the back of my solana in some crevices. Second day it went to the top of the tank near my powerhead. Third day it went right in front of the return nozzle and have half its tentacles blown away.

This is what I did instead: I noticed if I have the halide directly over it it would be all happy and stay where I put it. Basically it had all its essentials (light, flow, and food). However as the light is turned off, it would start roaming. After several close calls, I've decided to put a small desk lamp right at it. So even with the halide turned off, the anemone still have another light to help it feels secure.

This is a brand new anemone that I just bought. So if yours has been in a tank for a while and started moving, there is a reason for it. Mine just need a night light until it is established. :eek:

nope, its a new addition to the tank, and mine is exhibiting the same behaviors you just mentioned, it stays within a few inches when the lights are on but at night, its gone and fast.

I'm having the same problem. If anyone figures out a solid way to fix this, say it.

I'll try the night light tonight and see how it works.

when I introduce a new nem I leave my lights on for 24 hours and that's has worked for me good luck

im starting to see a pattern here......
1) Im going to try using a desklamp for a spotlight tonight.
2) if the previous fails, Im going to leave the lights on all night(I dont wanna do this as the rest of my tank isnt going to like this idea)
3) if all else fails........that anemone can go to .....um, I mean he can go wherever he wants in my tank whether I see him or not. (maybe Ill get lucky.

dawgdude;227397 wrote: Ive been able to get most nems to stay put by finding a place in the rock where the nem can get his foot fully in a crave or crevasse. Alot of times they are looking for a spot where the flow is right and they can feel like their foot is secure.

Ive given special attention to this and little guy just moves on.

barb, im not exacty sure what the nem wants to do (split or not) as it's the first one ive owned, as well as him being new to the tank.

salinity: 1.025
ph: 8.0
dkh: 10.5
calcium: 490
temp: 81 F.
-nitrates and phosphates are within an acceptable range (my SPS are flourishing and looking strong.
-I run charcoal and change weekly, gfo, changed monthly.

Get some hosting clowns. 1.025 is an ok salinity (I personally run mine at 1.026)....but it's nothing that won't upset a nem. Sadly its hard to say that the underlaying issue is here, nems do what they want. One of mine moved this morning for the first time since putting him in the tank....tho I'm fully blaming it on all the rearranging/coral removing I'm doing in the tank.

Some BTA nems will just keep moving and moving. I used to have a bunch of different ones and some would bunker down and be good lil nems and others would never stop moving. The ones with a pinkish foot are renown movers and typically don't last long in home aquaria. If that's what you have then take it back if possible. Otherwise, try that constant light thing. It sounds intriguing.

okay...so dually noted, my salinity is low but im slowly bringing it up,
Yes, I have a pair of clowns (black and whites) whom are hosting a gonoproia and are not even showing intrest in the nem since he stays fairly contracted while moving......I did however get him to finally except a piece of krill...but then he moved away into the shadows WHILE he was eating it, and remained in the dark all of yesterday during the light and has remained there since.
- Its a green bubble tip nem and it has a tan foot jin...

Im done messing with the little guy for a while....
I think I have to much flow for him?

If you got one recently, it is probably because it is adjusting to your tank. My new nem from Tim is doing the same thing. One minute it looks terrible, then next it's peachy keen. Mine hides in the rock, under a ledge, opens up nicely, closes, very bubbly, then very spagetti-like. Who knows? Maybe they are tempermental.

I don't have any other experience with nems but I think it may just be adjusting to your tank. Mine has been in there for a week. So, just let it be.

Your salinity is fine imo. I usually keep mine at .24-.25.

What are you feeding it btw? Some foods are more palatable to nems than others. A lot of nems don't particularly care for krill... If you're having trouble getting it to eat I would recommend trying some raw squid its like crack rock to them.

Ya let him settle in. I have had it takes weeks before. If he goes where no light for more then 2 days then move them. Otherwise let it roam and don't add anything you care about keeping (as they sting the crap out of everything) until they have finally settled in.

I also got one from tim last week and it is also doing the same thing. Split on day 2 and now both pieces are roaming like crazy but look great.

Back