My new acans

Johnny’O

Reaction score
So I pickup a hammer and trumpet acan on Friday the hammer adjusted and acclimate is fully extended and eating the acan on the other hand has not done any thing and is closed up he’s on bottom of sand bed . How long does it take for the acan to open up Iam new to the salt life was a fresh water shrub for 10+ years I did like 5 years of research before jumping in to salt Iam running a 20 gal water box with AI prime hd 3 months set up
Live stock
2 clowns
Yellow goby w/ cleaner shrimp
And those two new corals
I tested and had about 10 ppm on nitrates nitrite was 0 , ammonia 0. PH 8.1 and did 5 gal water change Friday with RO water with 0 TDS mixed with Frits RPM AT 0.24 did dip them in reef dip for about 9 to 10 mins after I did a 1 hr drip acclamation any thoughts Iam all ears thanks also I don’t have test kit for reef yet it’s on the list this week have to get

I would say that patience is all you need here. As long as it doesn't look like it's losing flesh or bleaching out it should be fine. Sometimes coral can take a while to adjust to new light and flow. Can you show us the coral in question?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Looks like a trumpet in the sand, never heard of a trumpet acan but I don’t get out much. That’s does look like it’s open. Have you tried to google trumpet coral pics for comparison? Check it out and let us know.

I would double check and drop the temp slightly. 78*F is more ideal and will help corals to thrive better.

Also, there’s no need to do drip acclimation with 99% of corals. Provided your salinity is within 0.001 SG, temperature acclimate is sufficient. The plastic bag irritates them more than minor changes in water chemistry.

Otherwise, just wait as @bhodges82 mentions. But your corals are fairly open already from the photo I see

Back