snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
Got this from B2 a few weeks ago! Not sure what it is but it sure is cool
Lights are under halides only MegaChrome Crystal
Anyone know what it is?
498af51e2e90e9aa699da5bd38ffa9c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may be too small to make a proper identification.

However, many deepwater Acros have similar young growth patterns and striations.

It may be too small to make a proper identification.

However, many deepwater Acros have similar young growth patterns and striations.
Kinda a newbie question, what makes this a be considered a deep water acro, and do they have different requirements? Lower light?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Kinda a newbie question, what makes this a be considered a deep water acro, and do they have different requirements? Lower light?

Lots of folks consider a smooth skin acro to be deep water. Things like a granulosa or enchinata.
Technically I’d think this one is of the granulosa persuasion.

Possibly a northern lights acro ...
Thanks Snow...
No problem snow:)
Anytime man.....
Have a great day
You too man

Lots of folks consider a smooth skin acro to be deep water. Things like a granulosa or enchinata.

Exactly! when we say ‘deepwater acro’, we’re using aquarium/reefing lingo. It doesn't necessarily mean it’s from deep water.

many deepwater Acros have similar young growth patterns and striations.

That said, I just decided to pull up some similar photos for identification. And then cross-checked myself, and was slightly surprised that I found many other species that have the same striations. So please disregard my previous deepwater comment; even when applied to a general category. All I can say now is that I believe it is an acropora. (Lol, Which probably isn’t all that helpful)

Exactly! when we say ‘deepwater acro’, we’re using aquarium/reefing lingo. It doesn't necessarily mean it’s from deep water.

That said, I just decided to pull up some similar photos for identification. And then cross-checked myself, and was slightly surprised that I found many other species that have the same striations. So please disregard my previous deepwater comment; even when applied to a general category. All I can say now is that I believe it is an acropora. (Lol, Which probably isn’t all that helpful)

It’s cool. I normally name corals based on color anyway haha...
Green acro
Green acro with red tips
That kinda thing:)

I've noticed that the smooth skin cross that i have don't really grow much, is there any special requirements they have? Mine are on frag racks in my DT along side other growing acros but they stay small, I'm just happy they don't die, but if like to make them grow out.

I've noticed that the smooth skin cross that i have don't really grow much, is there any special requirements they have? Mine are on frag racks in my DT along side other growing acros but they stay small, I'm just happy they don't die, but if like to make them grow out.

I had some that grew fast; and others that grew insanely slow... I’m not sure if it’s an environmental issue or just genetics causing that particular one to grow slowly.

For my super slow growing Acros; I just give them space and many years of good conditions. Lol... only to watch them grow an inch. But I love them the same!

Back