My new skimmer

jsmith0193

Reaction score
I have been running a H&S A150 on my 125 since I started it 18 months ago and have been very pleased with the performance. Since the H&S filled the cup with coffee color skimate every 48-72 hours, why did I decide to switch skimmers? Not sure, guess it was an urge to change something about the aquarium - it had been a while since I had added a new piece of equipment. After considering a larger needlewheel, I ran across some threads on the Elos NS skimmers and after speaking with Jesse at Elos USA decided to give the NS1000 a shot.

The skimmer arrived on saturday but I did not have a chance to look at it until yesterday. The first thing that struck me when viewing the skimmer was the size - the skimmer is only ~20" high with cup, my H&S is ~30" high. So far I am pleased with how it is performing - the second attachment shows what it collected in 18 hours. I have already ordered the larger collection cup and think I am definately going to need it.

Everything I have purchased from Elos so far has been great quality - I love their test kits. Hopefully one of the local stores with start carrying the line.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
33909=2039-142669484-M.jpg
>
33909=2039-142669484-M.jpg
class="gc-images" title="142669484-M.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
33909=2038-142669499-M.jpg
>
33909=2038-142669499-M.jpg
class="gc-images" title="142669499-M.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

mmmmm, looks yummy :) Skimmer looks great, hope it continuese to perform as you want it to.

does this use an Eheim needlewheel pump? It's hard to tell from the picture, but is the output of the pump at the very top of the skimmer? I'd love to hear more about the theory behind these and what's different about them... why is it called a "natural" skimmer?

Wow, just went on the website.... interesting, not that I understand exactly what they're saying (bad translation...)! Anyhow, I couldn't actually get a link to a US distributor--where did you order this from?

Not sure why they are called "Natural Skimmers". I will ask next time I talk to them. It is not a needlewheel, it is a venturi - the thing that is different is that the air is injected down into the reaction chamber, so the bubbles have to fight the water being injected. The US distributor is Elos USA - he has a forum on reefcentral. There are not currently any stores in Georgia carrying the stuff. Order one of their test kits and give it a shot - each batch is NIST certified for accuracy, and the pricing is competitive with Salifert and Seachem. From what I can tell, everything they make is very high quality - some of it is very pricey, some not.

Nice skimmer! Beautiful workmanship on the flange and mounting screws.
Should be a breeze to clean.

So it's kind of a downdraft skimmer?

How do they compare in price to Tunze?

Its a venturi that injects the air/water down into the reaction chamber. As far as a price comparison with Tunze, they are a little higher.

Back